PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Experts

Pages : [1] 2

miki84
05-28-2013, 11:56 PM
My name is Mike and I recently jumped head first into the detailing business. I found a trailer and suppllies at a price I could nit pass on. I have PTSD from the military and discovered that detailing really helped me with anxiety. So here is what I am looking for. Someone to let me teach me with all the knowledge they have. I live in Albuquerque and would travel to you. I would obviously work for free and be greatful beyond words. Thanks

cardaddy
05-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Mike, welcome to AGO! :D

You came to the right place for sure. I'm nowhere near where you are, but some are close enough to hook up with I bet. I'm sure you'll get some great responses.

Good luck!

Pureshine
05-29-2013, 02:17 AM
Welcome to AGO Mike if I was close to you I would help.

BradsDetailing
05-29-2013, 02:28 AM
Welcome Mike

I'm sure there is someone nearby and if not there is a ton of information on here and excellent people that will help you along the way.

BobbyG
05-29-2013, 05:25 AM
Hi Mike and Welcome To Autogeek Online.........:props:

Detailing is something that can be both rewarding and satisfying. When done properly it's a lot of hard work but the results are amazing. I'm near Cape Cod so driving is a little out of the question.

I would do some reading. Click on the link below and dive into some of the great articles by Mike Phillips. Don't become overwhelmed with all the products and options because you actually need very few getting started.

The Basic Steps

Wash
Clay
Compound
Polish
Seal
Wax

Mike covers these extensively in these articles and new book which is available in both paperback and pdf format.

PTSD is a stress related disorder and it's nothing to fool around with. Typical symptoms are anxiety, depression, disrupted sleep patterns, mood swings, lack of concentration etc but it is treatable and you will get through it. Right now your focus is internal, that's how this illness works and it consumes your mind...like you can't turn it off.

By occupying you mind and thoughts with other activities you will actually feel better because you're focus is outward and productive. Detailing is enjoyable and it's results are satisfying leaving you feeling good...this is a good thing....

Exercise and a busy routine is also part of the treatment. You won't forget these experiences but you'll learn to come to terms with them and become their master and not the other way around. Just remember you're not the only one that's been through this and there is life after war.....peace..:props:

Mike lambert
05-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Thanks for your service!

BobbyG
05-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Then again it would help greatly if I pasted in the link to Mikes articles...:doh:

Articles by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html)

Spiney
05-29-2013, 06:47 AM
Miki84, Thank you for your service and for finding a positive outlet to work through your PTSD. I hope you find a mentor close by. I wish you great success with your new venture.

vet
05-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Welcome, and thank you for serving.

Many find detailing a satisfying therapy. Like BobbyG said, get Mike's articles, maybe even get his books/downloads. People on the forum are always willing to help with solutions.

Good luck on your venture!

rustytruck
05-29-2013, 07:14 PM
You might find detailing relaxing but dealing with customers and running the business side of things can be stressful. Welcome to the forum.

Perfections
05-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Mike, thanks for your service. I was in the Army for 8 years and am going to try and figure something out for you training wise. Ill get back to you asap if someone else hasn't already!

Mach1USMC
05-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks for your service!! I'm about to retire after 24 yrs of service myself.

Aside from watching the multitude of vids Mike has available online (he literally has a vid on EVERYTHING detail related) there are a few others you can watch who are also quality IMO. Larry Kosilla of AMMO NYC, Greg Masterson of Chemical Guys, Garry Dean of Premium Custom Detailing and the Junkman. All bring great insight to different aspects and techniques on the detailing biz. (even though the Junkman isn't technically a pro detailer he knows his ####)

For a school closest to you I'd say Chemical Guys in SoCal. Greg has several classes available. I personally haven't gone but I've heard great things about them. I'd also say if you can find a way to get to Mike Phillips classes you should def do it. If it's anything like his vids you will walk away with a wealth of knowledge!! GL

miki84
05-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the info and help. Glad I found this forum.

miki84
05-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Mike, thanks for your service. I was in the Army for 8 years and am going to try and figure something out for you training wise. Ill get back to you asap if someone else hasn't already!

Thanks. It would be awesome.

Perfections
06-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Mike, I have great news! I found someone decently close that's one of the best in the country offering to help you out! A big thank you to Scottwax!! Ill pm you his info so you guys can work out the details :)