PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my first Chevy tomorrow (2012 Chevy Cruze)

JJH
05-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Any suggestions or tips to help me along my way? Are newer Chevy clearcoats traditionally softer or harder?

Here's the lineup for tomorrow:

-Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II MTM foam cannon wash + 2 bucket wash method.
-Nanoskin 6" "clay" treatment (Can I use ONR clay bar lube instead of the Nanoslide with this?)
-Rewash with Chemical Guys Maxi Suds foam cannon
-Griots 6" DA random orbital buffer
-Menzerna FG400 with Lake County Cyan Cutting pad
-Menzerna SF4000 with Lake County Tangerine Polishing pad
-Panel by panel IPA wipedown
-Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant with Lake Country Crimson Red finishing pad

Done.

Both the Menzerna and Lake County products are new to me. I've got M105 and M205 at my disposal too and they are the only products that I've got experience with.

With the Menzerna products, any suggestions on speeds to use or pad priming methods? I will do some test spots first to see how aggressive I'm going to need to be. I've just got no experience with the working time of the Menzerna products. Do they have non-diminishing abrasives?

Any and all tips are welcome!

Mikertt
05-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Be careful with the RS badges on the doors if it is the Rally Sport model. I used the Master Blaster on my own Cruze and the red sticker on the badge came off. Once the sticker bends, it won't go back on. Just be careful about that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AG Online

JJH
05-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the advice. Have you had to compound/polish yours yet?

JJH
05-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Blackfire Wet Diamond Application and Removal Strategy

1) How long should I allow the BFWD to cure on the paint after applying it before I buff it off with a microfiber towel?

2) Should I apply a second coat of BFWD? And if so, what is the process? Do I allow the first coat of BFWD to cure for X hours, wipe off, then immediately apply a new coat of BFWD or do I allow the first coat of BFWD to cure on the paint for X hours, and then before wiping it off apply another coat of BFWD on top of the other one and then wipe them both off at the same time? Thanks.

cleanmycorolla
05-28-2013, 11:00 PM
You wipe off BFWD 30 min after applying, not hours. I let BFWD cure 8 hrs then top again.

DogRescuer
05-29-2013, 03:55 PM
You wipe off BFWD 30 min after applying, not hours. I let BFWD cure 8 hrs then top again.
So letting a sealant cure means applying then removing in 30 min then sitting? I thought you apply and let sit or cure and then remove?

cleanmycorolla
05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
So letting a sealant cure means applying then removing in 30 min then sitting? I thought you apply and let sit or cure and then remove?

The bottles have directions, you basically apply, let haze 30-45min, wipe off and boom that's first coat. Let it sit untouched 8-12hrs that's the cure time.

Mikertt
05-30-2013, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. Have you had to compound/polish yours yet?

I've only tried M205 with it when I first got it using a PC7424XP and a white polishing pad. I got only a very slight correction because I was a NOOB when I did that and went at too slow a speed to make much of any correction. The hood is a bit flimsy if you press down too hard when doing a correction, it wants to cave in a little. Just be mindful of that.

hernandez.art13
05-30-2013, 03:57 AM
I've only tried M205 with it when I first got it using a PC7424XP and a white polishing pad. I got only a very slight correction because I was a NOOB when I did that and went at too slow a speed to make much of any correction. The hood is a bit flimsy if you press down too hard when doing a correction, it wants to cave in a little. Just be mindful of that.

Made this myself on my phone (dusting shoulders off, also kidding)

It sounds like it's

One bam at a time... (Start with the least aggressive method)
http://youtu.be/XvazQUYG1kE

All joking aside you do need to step it up,

(Don't quote me) but maybe the Meguiar's 105 and orange pad?

Mikertt
05-31-2013, 02:09 AM
Made this myself on my phone (dusting shoulders off, also kidding)

It sounds like it's

One bam at a time... (Start with the least aggressive method)
Emeril BAM!!! - YouTube (http://youtu.be/XvazQUYG1kE)

All joking aside you do need to step it up,

(Don't quote me) but maybe the Meguiar's 105 and orange pad?

Well, my normal routine would be that orange pad with Ultimate Compound and then M205. I just like UC because it doesn't put out as much dust. About my Cruze, personally, it sits outside 24/7 and in my neighborhood, we get so much dust and pollution from the two freeways behind my home. No point in doing any correction on my Cruze. My 91 Saturn SL2 is my Garage Queen though, haha.