PDA

View Full Version : Strong, but safe, Leather Cleaner

Pages : [1] 2

greywolf17
05-28-2013, 03:17 PM
I am currently working on the Leather for a lexus, and unfortunately the owner has really never done anything with it in regards to protecting and cleaning it. There is very thick layers of Grime. Don't know, probably the result of perspiration, dirty arms and whatever. Just regular Leather cleaners are not working at all. Is there any great products that can break this down and get it off without damaging the leather. Thankyou!

Andr3wilson
05-28-2013, 03:22 PM
M600 Solvent is your best bet. (Buy it at local paint store). It expensive stuff but it is safe on leather and really cleans deep. You can try 1Z deep plastic, but its active ingredient is not as strong. M600 will clean the seats in one application. Other stuff will be multiple applications

Sent from my SGH-I317M using AG Online

SonOfOC
05-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Ultima Interior Gel Shampoo with one of these:

Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html)

UIGS is very gentle, but even then I would try it on a test spot.

sproketser
05-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Ultima Interior Gel Shampoo with one of these:

Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html)

UIGS is very gentle, but even then I would try it on a test spot.

Thanx mate , brush will be handy .

FUNX650
05-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Have you tried LeatherMaster's Strong Leather Cleaner?

Leather Master Car Interior Strong Leather Cleaner, car leather cleaner, leather seats cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/strong-leather-cleaner.html)

Or, LeatherMaster's Leather Degreaser?

Leather Master Aerosol Leather Degreaser 300 ml. (http://www.autogeek.net/leather-master-aerosol-leather-degreaser.html)

If you haven't...They may be worth a shot.

:)

Bob

Pureshine
05-28-2013, 06:54 PM
1Z deep plastic cleaner works great on treated leather.

primo spaghetti
05-28-2013, 08:20 PM
ill also throw Leatherique at the list of growing products.

Its a bit more work, but really worth it in the end.

Robert8194
05-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Four Star Leather gel works great for me.

Larry A
05-28-2013, 08:32 PM
What ever happened to Woolite and water 10 to 1.

Meticulous-Detail
05-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Steam might be what you need to loosen that grime. Do you have a steamer?

If not you can try boiling water and letting MF's or terry cloths soak for a bit, then using gloves place towel on area for a minute or two and then wipe with another with a damp MF. If that doesn't work after you lift boiled towel, then work leather cleaner in then wipe with MF. Don't let boiled towel sit too long on the section of leather.

Chris Thomas
05-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Optimum Power Clean is leather safe and can be used at various dilutions as needed. The only care you need to take is to spread it quickly if you spray it directly on vertical surfaces to prevent runs where there is a concentrated amount. After scrubbing, use a water dampened microfiber to remove residual cleaners.

greywolf17
05-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks for all input everyone!

jsgntulok
05-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Meguiars APC is leather safe. Diluted at 1:10, this successfully cleaned the leather in a Lexus RX 330. I had to agitate a bit with a soft brush. Areas of the leather were heavily stained a nasty orange color from spray on tan.

statusdetailing
05-28-2013, 11:57 PM
You need a solvent based cleaner for that kind of grime. D limonene based products work extremely well and smell nice. You'll want to find something that has between 15 to 40% d limonene. You can find products in this percentage range that will not separate when diluted with water. These products are more expensive than traditional apc's (20 to $40 per gallon) but dilute extremely well. Im currently using a product that i dilute between 16:1 and 32:1 .

Imo meg's apc's are in the dark ages compared to d limonene products. Try one of these products on dirty leather and you'll wonder why you ever used anything else.

As a bonus, these products makes aweaome tar , bug and gum removers when diluted at 10:1 or less, depending on the severity of the problem.

statusdetailing
05-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Did i mention that most are ph neutral!??? Take a look at the meg's msds. 11+ ph

Yikes! That equals occassional leather and plastic discoloration.