shaffer
05-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Feed back please

Pureshine
05-27-2013, 11:59 PM
What products do you have?

shaffer
05-28-2013, 12:58 AM
I have meguiars ULTIMATE LINE OF PRODUCTS. COMPOUND POLISH AND WAX. AND CLAY BAR.

Colinpd137
05-28-2013, 01:37 AM
Blackfire BlackIce
& some sunglasses ;p

cardaddy
05-28-2013, 01:59 AM
I have meguiars ULTIMATE LINE OF PRODUCTS. COMPOUND POLISH AND WAX. AND CLAY BAR.

Those will work great! :)
Top the Ultimate Liquid Wax (its more of WOWO sealant) with Megs M26 yellow wax and it'll add some depth.

Can also top the polish with M21 2.0, (a TRUE wowo sealant). Let that cure (after removing the haze) overnight (or longer). Then top with ULW or M26.

ULW adds more to the wet sealant look/especially the feel. Whereas M26 gives a harder, less fluid feel and maybe a little 'crispness' to the look

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

Mike Phillips
05-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Feed back please

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Besides the Ultimate Line you need at a minimum a DA Polisher like a Porter Cable, Meguiar's G110v2 or a Griots plus some buffing pads and some quality microfiber towels.

Then after you get her all polished up to your expectations you're going to need to maintain that finish as black isn't a color it's a full time job.

I'd recommend getting a copy of my second edition how-to book for start...

:)

Jmarra
05-28-2013, 06:29 AM
Pinnacle! I use XMT 2 followed by Sovereign paste wax. My black 05 looks like a mirror!

vet
05-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Welcome!

Mike P, BobbyG, and others will steer you right.

FUNX650
05-28-2013, 09:22 AM
IMO...
The majority of the surfaces on the latest editions of the ZR1 Corvette can be "detailed" using the
same car-care products as you would on a vehicle having a BC/CC paint system.

However...
They have, according to GM, several: "Unique Characteristics".

Accordingly:

Ceramic Rotors:
-"It is advised to NEVER ALLOW WHEEL CLEANER, TIRE CLEANER, or BRAKE CLEANER TO CONTACT THE ROTORS.

Ceramic rotors will absorb any material that comes in contact with them. Only soap and water should be used to clean wheels and tires.
Any product that is applied to the rotor surface will cause damage to the surface and is not covered under the GM warranty".

NOTE:
I suggest to follow this advise unless you plan on pulling the tire/wheel assemblies.

Body Panels
1. Front splitter (chin-spoiler) and rocker-extensions (ground effects)
a.) They are: Clear-coated Carbon Fiber
-Clear-coat helps provide UV protection to the underlying carbon fiber. If the CC is scratched, it needs repaired/filled-in.
"Unprotected" carbon fiber will lighten significantly causing it to appear white or bleached

b.) Although carbon fiber looks smooth and glossy, there are small micro depressions
where the clear coat has sunk to fill the space in the fiber weave.

c.) Do not use polishes/waxes that dry to a white/light haze.
This residue can fill the small depressions, look like white dots, and be difficult to remove.

NOTE:
GM recommends polishes/waxes that are black/dark in color to detail their versions of CC'ed carbon fiber.

d.) Carbon fiber can have rough and sharp edges. Use caution when detailing it.

2. Roof and Roof Halo Bar:
a.) Carbon fiber...having a:

b.) "Special" Clear Coat for more protection from more extreme UV exposure (fading/degradation).

NOTE:
GM advises against using "regular CC" for deep scratch repairs.

c.) Same "cautions" as the other carbon fiber parts listed above:
-Carbon fiber looks smooth and glossy, but there are small micro depressions
where the clear coat has sunk to fill the space in the fiber weave.

-When waxing or polishing the carbon fiber panels, a wax or polish that is black in color is recommended.
(If a polish or wax dries to a white/light colored haze, the residue may
fill the small depressions and it will be difficult to remove it.)

3.) Raised clear panel in the center of the hood.
-This is a polycarbonate surface and it has a very thin UV coat applied. (Helps prevent the panel from incurring UV-crazing)

-Special care should be exercised to not scratch this panel.

-Do not use any "solvents" to clean this panel
(However...I use a Plexus-type of product to clean/protect)

-GM's Note:
Never use wax, polish or spray cleaner on the clear panel in an attempt to remove any scratches,
as the protective coating may be removed.

4.) And while we're on the subject of the hood:
-Carbon fiber

-Since the underside of the hood is not subjected to UV light,
it is not clear-coated and the tiny pores in the carbon fiber are 'open'.

-Therefore: Do not attempt to polish/wax the hood's underside-surface.

One additional item:
I'll also suggest to keep a supply of your favorite wax/polish remover on standby.

Bob

Mike Phillips
05-28-2013, 11:47 AM
IMO...
The majority of the surfaces on the latest editions of the ZR1 Corvette can be "detailed" using the
same car-care products as you would on a vehicle having a BC/CC paint system.

However...
They have, according to GM, several: "Unique Characteristics".

Bob

Thanks for researching all the above and adding it to this thread. Sounds like GM has made it a tick more difficult for not only the owner, (average person), to properly and safely detail their own car but even for professionals.

Seems like GM could have applied more clear over the carbon fiber panels to avoid the voids and thus remove any risk of compounds, polishes or waxes penetrating into the fiber and leaving behind a stain.

And how about using coatings that don't stain easily?

Luckily there are now at least three new "black" waxes on the market to help out owners of these black Vettes...

FUNX650
05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Sounds like GM has made it a tick more difficult for not only the owner, (average person),
to properly and safely detail their own car but even for professionals.

^^^Safely being the definitive word^^^(Thanks Mike :props:)

Seems like GM could have applied more clear over the carbon fiber panels to
avoid the voids and thus remove any risk of compounds, polishes or waxes
penetrating into the fiber and leaving behind a stain.

^^^Especially with a vehicle that lists ~$118,000.00^^^

And how about using coatings that don't stain easily?

^^^There have been several Professional Detailers that have applied different
sealants/Coatings...with stated success...on the ZR1's carbon-fibered parts.^^^

Luckily there are now at least three new "black" waxes on the market to help out owners of these black Vettes...

I wonder how GM would know about this so far in advance.
(Unless one of their former paint-engineers was thinking along the lines of: "Black Box")

Bob

shaffer
05-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the feed back from everyone!I think i have just enough info to really make it look great or really screw it up! Thanks again ill report back on the finished product!

jlax2485
06-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Just use a coating like OC 2.0 or Cquartz and be done with it.

Mike Phillips
06-03-2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks for all the feed back from everyone!I think i have just enough info to really make it look great or really screw it up! Thanks again ill report back on the finished product!

Please keep us posted as to your progress...

ScottB
06-03-2013, 06:00 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/3107-entire-process-c6-owners-obviously-all-others-long-post.html