PDA

View Full Version : Need some good paint and body advice...

Red Lehr
05-27-2013, 08:49 PM
I need some good advice fellas....I had my 64 Gal re painted this past winter and when spring rolled around I get my car back and it is a total wreck. The body man took the old paint off to the metal with a sander.In the process the car developed hundreds of pock marks and uneven areas mainly due to bad sanding.So now I have orange peel on top of sanding divots plus all kinds of waves in the metal.My body man is a good friend and a customer of mine,but now I know he sucks as a body man,I didn't know that before....I've since talked to him about all of this and he wants to work on it this fall and TRY to block sand it and paint it.I'm into the paint job for $2800.00,yeah that is cheap,but I didn't know my car would look like a washboard.

Should I let him re do the car or go to a better shop and pay to have a good job done, or tear the car down and block sand the car myself ???

The car has at least 6 coats of primer,3 coats of paint,and 3 coats of clear.
Any ideas ???
Thanks guys..
Red

oldmodman
05-28-2013, 01:59 AM
It is very unlikely that there is anything that can be done now.

It will probably be necessary to take it back down to the primer or bare metal. Then massage the metal to get as much of the waviness out as possible. Then give the entire body a light skim coat of filler, or if you are lucky, just high build primer. Then block sand the car until the surface is perfect. Then lay down the color and sand it to remove all imperfections. Then spray the clear and color sand it.

But.

I would contact the manufacturer of the paint used on the current paint job and find out if it is permissible to spray some kind of primer right over the existing paint and be able to sand it. That would save a LOT of time and possibly even allow you to avoid some of the steps I listed.

Any way you look at it this is going to be a time and labor intensive job. And it will tie up the guys shop for several weeks, maybe even months.

Good luck with your project.

BobbyG
05-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Hey Red,

WOW, this was very painful to read and I can almost feel your anxiety and disappointment man. I understand the need to keep cost low but $2800 isn't chickenfeed and I'm surprised it ended up this poor. I'm not confident that having your friend work on it will do anything to improve the situation or your friendship....regardless of what he thinks he owes you some cash back...

While it's difficult to tell for sure but it sounds like the exterior should be media blasted to bare metal and skim coat the surface with a light filler to achieve that perfect surface. From there the paint tech will use what ever approach is needed to give you the final result you're looking for.

2BlackChevys
05-28-2013, 06:01 AM
I would have it media blasted to remove everything that's on it now. The last thin you want to do is fix it then have the current paint/primer etc cause issues later.

Evercoat makes a sprayable filler that builds nice and will take care of a lot of the waviness. Follow that with some high build primer then block sand it and you should be good to go.

Mike Phillips
05-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Sorry to hear of the body and paint issues for your 1964 Ford Galaxie... very cool car. The last Galaxie I worked on was this 1963 and it was sweet.

Just like a good detail job a good paint job, that's to look great over time starts with the right prep work.

If this car is important to you, then check with the local hotrodders and ask them who's good around your area, you should be able to get a couple of names.

From my experience, all the best painters at your local collision shops will also have their own shop where they do work on the side, (street rods and such), you want to find one of these guys.

Then of course, make sure when it comes to the wetsanding, cutting and buffing good sandpapers, compounds and polishes are used.

You can hire the best painter in the world but it's the guy that does the wetsanding, cutting and buffing that makes or breaks the end-results.

:)

davidc
05-28-2013, 06:21 AM
I would have it media blasted to remove everything that's on it now. The last thin you want to do is fix it then have the current paint/primer etc cause issues later.

Evercoat makes a sprayable filler that builds nice and will take care of a lot of the waviness. Follow that with some high build primer then block sand it and you should be good to go.

Yes, building it up and lot's and lot's of block sanding and re-primering is the way to a smooth finish. A filler epoxy primer for the base and then regular primer is the best way to go and block sand it to death.

Dave

Mike Phillips
05-28-2013, 06:45 AM
For those reading this that might not know what a 1964 Ford Galaxie looks like, it's close to this 1963 1/2 we had here for a show car makeover...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1590/Autoscrub004.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1590/Autoscrub005.jpg

A 1964 Ford Galaxie is definitely a cool car when finished...

57BORNTORUN
05-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Yes, building it up and lot's and lot's of block sanding and re-primering is the way to a smooth finish. A filler epoxy primer for the base and then regular primer is the best way to go and block sand it to death.

Dave
Epoxy, body filler, sand, high build,sand, guide coat, sand, a last coat of thinned epoxy as a sealer, scuff and paint then bring it to Mikes boot camp for cut and buff.After that us locals get to finish it.:dblthumb2:

vet
05-28-2013, 08:34 AM
I had a '64, and so did my Dad. Nice cars.

Sorry to hear that the paint job was botched. I can't add anything to the advice of the others. Hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

Red Lehr
05-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Sorry to hear of the body and paint issues for your 1964 Ford Galaxie... very cool car. The last Galaxie I worked on was this 1963 and it was sweet.

Just like a good detail job a good paint job, that's to look great over time starts with the right prep work.

If this car is important to you, then check with the local hotrodders and ask them who's good around your area, you should be able to get a couple of names.

From my experience, all the best painters at your local collision shops will also have their own shop where they do work on the side, (street rods and such), you want to find one of these guys.

Then of course, make sure when it comes to the wetsanding, cutting and buffing good sandpapers, compounds and polishes are used.

You can hire the best painter in the world but it's the guy that does the wetsanding, cutting and buffing that makes or breaks the end-results.

Thanks Mike, I'm using the bad paint job to hone my wet sanding skills and if it weren't for the waviness of the metal,it would have turned out great thanks to your videos.I'm getting a lot of good advice and I'll make my decision from there I am using the Menzerna line of products and the Flex,PC,and buffing pads you used in the Heartland video.
Thanks again for all the advice !!!
Red