PDA

View Full Version : Help repairing unusual blemish in paint

Pages : [1] 2

JLGONE
05-27-2013, 08:11 PM
I purchased a used BMW X5 with sapphire black metallic paint. There is an unusual blemish in the paintband I am seeking advice on ow might fix it.

There is a 3/4" area with whitish marblized discolorization. The surface is pefectly smooth and flat. I know there were some dents removed ("paintless") so I'm wondering if this is left from a repaired ding.

I haven't tried anything yet, figuring it's best to ask for informed advice first.

Can someone explain what this is and how to fix it.

Thanks

Setec Astronomy
05-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Any pictures?

JLGONE
05-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Here is an image of the blemish

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/59892

paint blemish - AutogeekOnline Gallery (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/59892)

Setec Astronomy
05-27-2013, 08:19 PM
That's the fender or wheel arch? It's not the greatest pic but it looks like it could be paint transfer. I'd try a light polish or paint cleaner by hand, what do you have?

Evan.J
05-27-2013, 08:25 PM
That's the fender or wheel arch? It's not the greatest pic but it looks like it could be paint transfer. I'd try a light polish or paint cleaner by hand, what do you have?

:iagree:

Or a possible bird bomb that has been severely etched into the paint and someone had tried to remove it and compound or polish got into the cracks of the clear.

If you can take a few more photos at different angles

JLGONE
05-27-2013, 08:42 PM

I have a DA polisher and wolfgang polishes.
Also have lacquer thinner and other solvents as well.

What exactly is "paint transfer"?

Setec Astronomy
05-27-2013, 08:45 PM
When the car rubs against something else painted and the paint from the other surface transfers to the car. If that's house paint it should come off fairly easily, paint from another car may be more difficult. But it's hard to really tell what it is from the picture.

JLGONE
05-27-2013, 08:57 PM
When the car rubs against something else painted and the paint from the other surface transfers to the car. If that's house paint it should come off fairly easily, paint from another car may be more difficult. But it's hard to really tell what it is from the picture.

It is located on the top of the front fender in a location that would be very difficult for any other object to hit in just that one spot, so paint transfer is unlikely. It also is in the paint, not on the surface. Sorry for he bad photo.

The bird bomb theory sounds more plausible given the location and size.

If it is etched paint, should I clean it with a solvent and see if there are small "pores" in the paint? What solvent would be best - is isopropyl alcohol Ok?

If it is erosion would I just treat it like a scratch, ie, just fill it wth clear coat or paint, depending on how deep, and then wet sand and polish?

Setec Astronomy
05-27-2013, 09:08 PM
It's a very strange shape for a bird etch. Clearcoat can get scuffed leventy-seven ways, and it could be paint transfer from some other kind of object, the previous owner could have bumped it and scuffed it with who-knows-what.

psnt1ol
05-27-2013, 09:27 PM
The overall rectangular shape and the dot pattern within the shape reminds me of a screw up I did years ago. I was working on a 5 months old dried bird bomb that was edged to the paint. I spot sanded the blemish by hand a bit too aggressively and had a strike through. This looks very pretty similar to your it.

I hope I am wrong. I hope this is indeed paint transfer. Good Luck.

JLGONE
05-27-2013, 09:35 PM
I just scrubbed it with isopropyl alcohol and a soft rag and then looked at it with a jewelers loupe.

The blemish is made up of hundreds of very tiny circular white dots that appear to be in the clear coat. I couldn't get any of the white out so it doesn't seem like polish imbedded in pits. The white dots are circular and uniform. I tried a little wolfgang total swirl remover and it didn't touch it. It appears as if the clear coat has tiny white spots imbeded in it!

Should I wet sand it with 1500 grit? Try laquer thinner? Help please!

ihaveacamaro
05-27-2013, 09:37 PM
my guess is the clear is toast there. You may need a repaint.

Setec Astronomy
05-27-2013, 09:46 PM

I dunno how you come to that conclusion. IMO it's a spot that was bumped with something, people carry things in their garage past their car. Frequently because of orange-peeled paint, the scuff or transfer will only be on the high spots, resulting in that mottled appearance. But until we have a macro photo under better lighting I don't think we really know.

BlackHawk
05-27-2013, 09:49 PM
this whole debate on what it is would be very well done by now if better pictures were provided.....i cant even say what it is based on the picture given right now :/

JLGONE
05-27-2013, 09:51 PM

Why would the clear coat be oxidized in this one rectangular spot (1/2" x 3/4")? The paint is in excellant condition otherwise and less than 5 years old.

Does a bird dropping actually etch the clear? This appears as if something caused the clear to turn white in many many very tiny spots. Agree shape doesn't match typical bird dropping.

Obviously, I'm not going to respray the car. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!