PDA

View Full Version : Pad help

DogRescuer
05-27-2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks to all helping out! I have for my arsenal:

Megs 105 blue pad
Megs 205 Cayan Pad
Currently using paste wax(Hand), will by Megs 21
My question is, to get more cutting agression what product and pad would I go to?

Evan.J
05-27-2013, 05:57 AM
Thanks to all helping out! I have for my arsenal:

Megs 105 blue pad
Megs 205 Cayan Pad
Currently using paste wax(Hand), will by Megs 21
My question is, to get more cutting agression what product and pad would I go to?

What are you working on and what are you trying to accomplish?

DogRescuer
05-27-2013, 06:32 AM
What are you working on and what are you trying to accomplish?
I actuallly have no swirl marks luckily, but just some other scratches that the 105/205 combo wont eliminate. Theyre doing excellent but Im just being picky.

Evan.J
05-27-2013, 06:49 AM
I actuallly have no swirl marks luckily, but just some other scratches that the 105/205 combo wont eliminate. Theyre doing excellent but Im just being picky.

Ok just wanted to check thats all.

Now I am assuming you have polished your paint with the M105/205 combo and you have these scratches still remaining. If so then these more than likely are known as RIDS (Random Isolated Deeper Scratches).

Great Write up:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24045-rids-definition-rids-story-behind-term.html

The problem with RIDS are that the can some times be too deep into the clear and very difficult to remove. If you can feel them with your fingernail then they are often too deep to correct. If you have tried with M105 and a Cyan cutting pad and they are still there then they are too deep. Sometimes you better off just living with them. I know that might not be something you want to hear but thats OK nothing wrong with it.

Tony@TDC
05-27-2013, 07:03 AM
I really like the lake country hydrotech line with Menzerna products. I have found that if I need to jewel or compound I'm covered. I have also tried the microfiber pads (surbuf r, lake countries version). Both are very good.

I don't always compound but when I do I prefer Menzerna, stay shiny my friends. Lol
Sent from my SGH-T999 using AG Online

DogRescuer
05-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Ok just wanted to check thats all.

Now I am assuming you have polished your paint with the M105/205 combo and you have these scratches still remaining. If so then these more than likely are known as RIDS (Random Isolated Deeper Scratches).

Great Write up:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24045-rids-definition-rids-story-behind-term.html

The problem with RIDS are that the can some times be too deep into the clear and very difficult to remove. If you can feel them with your fingernail then they are often too deep to correct. If you have tried with M105 and a Cyan cutting pad and they are still there then they are too deep. Sometimes you better off just living with them. I know that might not be something you want to hear but thats OK nothing wrong with it.
Thanks I have to learn to say "good enough". Do you liike Megs #21?

I really like the lake country hydrotech line with Menzerna products. I have found that if I need to jewel or compound I'm covered. I have also tried the microfiber pads (surbuf r, lake countries version). Both are very good.

I don't always compound but when I do I prefer Menzerna, stay shiny my friends. Lol
Sent from my SGH-T999 using AG Online
Thanks, what iis "jeweling"?

Evan.J
05-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks I have to learn to say "good enough". Do you liike Megs #21?

Thanks, what iis "jeweling"?

Jewelling
Jewelling is a term for what I always called finish polishing, both terms mean to bring the paint to the highest degree of gloss, shine, depth, reflectivity etc. and this is done by making the paint as perfectly flat as possible at the microscopic level.

Just to make sure there's no confusion, when I use the word flat I don't mean as in dull or matte, I mean as smooth and equal in surface level, as in perfectly flat like the surface of a glass window. The car body panel itself can be curved but the paint on the curved panel must be perfectly flat and smooth.

I personally like the term jewelling better than finish polishing because the word jewel conjures up a picture in your mind, or the idea of a highly polished gemstone that glistens when light reflects off its surfaces.

A few years ago when the term jewelling reached the tipping point and became a commonly used term on detailing discussion forums I posted a request to one forum and asked for a volunteer to write an official definition for the term.

To this date I have not found an official definition written as such by anyone. So after waiting for a few years I'll volunteer to take a stab at it.

Jewelling - Definition
The final machine polishing step in which an ultra soft foam finishing pad with no mechanical abrading ability, (in and of itself), is used with a high lubricity ultra fine finishing polish to remove any remaining microscopic surface imperfections out of an automotive paint finish usually after the paint has been previously put through a series of machine compounding and polishing procedures to create a near perfect finish to start with.

Open to suggestions to tweak the definition and perfect it and standardize it for the detailing industry.

Also just want to add that while in most cases jewelling is the last step after a series of previous compounding and polishing steps, it is also possible to start with a near perfect finish. For example, at some other time the paint was already compounded and polished but needs to be refreshed to restore perfection.

I have used M21 in years prior to using Blackfire wet Diamond. I had always like M21 and its a great product but the durability doesn't seem to stand against other sealants like the Wet Diamond or Wolfgang deep gloss sealant 3.0. Its all in personal preference.:props: