PDA

View Full Version : Water filter questions

Pages : [1] 2

supercharged
05-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Those of you who already used water filer from AG, this question will be for you guys/gals.

How often do you recharge your water filter with rejuvenating tablets? How long do those tablets last you? Can they be reused?
And water softener resin refill. How often does that need to be changed?

TIA.

Nica
05-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Good question supercharged...I'm interested on this as well as I'll be purchasing a few water filters for washing my vehicles. Looking forward to the responses.

Al-53
05-28-2007, 02:18 PM
the recharge tablets are nothing more than a product called solar salt made by Diamond Crystal SAlt....it is the same salt used in home water softeners....you get a 30 pound bag for 4.99 at any hardware store...

to know when you need a recharge you need a TDS meter you can get online or most aquarium stores....first you test your water when the filter is new....and record the reading...then as you use it take a sample of the water..as the TDS increases the resins are getting depleted....then it is time to recharge....0-50 PPM is ideal water to rinse with...140 PPM is when to recharge...after that you will have mineral and salts in the water that create spotting....

The time period between recharges depends on how hard your water is...

Al

AUdakota
05-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I think al might be the smartest person I know.

klumzypinoy
05-28-2007, 02:27 PM
I think al might be the smartest person I know.

Yeah :D

Surfer
05-28-2007, 02:40 PM
the recharge tablets are nothing more than a product called solar salt made by Diamond Crystal SAlt....it is the same salt used in home water softeners....you get a 30 pound bag for 4.99 at any hardware store...

to know when you need a recharge you need a TDS meter you can get online or most aquarium stores....first you test your water when the filter is new....and record the reading...then as you use it take a sample of the water..as the TDS increases the resins are getting depleted....then it is time to recharge....0-50 PPM is ideal water to rinse with...140 PPM is when to recharge...after that you will have mineral and salts in the water that create spotting....

Alyou fried my brain...:D

One of the Porsche guys we raced with has one of those filter setups with ionizers or whatever its called, its a unit built into his garage, says it works good but gets expensive replacing the filters or whatever their called. lol

Al-53
05-28-2007, 02:55 PM
TDS stands for Total Disolved Solids....meaning minerals....water is more conductive the more minerals in it..thats how the meter works...

now with the recharge ..you trade off sodium molecules from the solar salt to the mineral molecules that create hard water spots.....this is done by Ionic actions....

the resins consist of both anionic and cationic resins..called mixed bed resins...

I make deionized water for my reef tanks...So I am very familiar with the process....I have commercial units...made in Germany...I can make up to 200 gallons a day...I have a RO/DI unit also..but RO units have to much waste water...it takes 9-15 gallons to make 1 gallon of pure water with a RO.DI unit....

Al

klumzypinoy
05-28-2007, 03:12 PM
TDS stands for Total Disolved Solids....meaning minerals....water is more conductive the more minerals in it..thats how the meter works...

now with the recharge ..you trade off sodium molecules from the solar salt to the mineral molecules that create hard water spots.....this is done by Ionic actions....

the resins consist of both anionic and cationic resins..called mixed bed resins...

I make deionized water for my reef tanks...So I am very familiar with the process....I have commercial units...made in Germany...I can make up to 200 gallons a day...I have a RO/DI unit also..but RO units have to much waste water...it takes 9-15 gallons to make 1 gallon of pure water with a RO.DI unit....

Al

Do you have fishies? :D

Racin10s
05-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Do you have fishies? :D

That is about all I got out of his message as well. I will have to read it a few more times in order to get it.... lol:confused:

klumzypinoy
05-28-2007, 04:46 PM
That is about all I got out of his message as well. I will have to read it a few more times in order to get it.... lol:confused:

LOL :p yeah. But less PPM is BETTER :)

supercharged
05-28-2007, 04:51 PM

Al
Thanks, Al. Hardware stores like what? Home Depot? Lowes?

Al-53
05-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Al. Hardware stores like what? Home Depot? Lowes?

Yes...some times even wal mart has it....I get it there in the winter for ice melting..its the size of mothballs....from big moths..lol....but home depot..lowes...

Al

Nica
05-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Wicked, nice feed back Al....man you live up to your tittle buddy Guru all the way!!

Jimmie
05-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I've got just the water softener filter and like it alot. Here's what my research showed Supercharged. The filter is recommended to be recharged after each 90 gallons. I've got maybe twice that on a charge and just noticed slightly more spotting (but nowhere close to what it would be without it). To charge you just cover the bottom of a tupperware tray in water softener salt then fill to the top of the filter with water. Soak overnight; done. I got my salt at Sears, 40lbs, Mortons. With the ability to recharge and refill with resin from AG these will last and be functional for alot of years

D
05-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Whats the deal with these TDS Meters? I went to the local Pool Supply store and asked for one, the guy said "ummm not for sale!" Made me feel like I was trying to buy something illegal.