PDA

View Full Version : what auto compound to use on boat gelcoat?

octane
05-26-2013, 06:17 PM
So doing gelcoat is pretty new to me... so please be kind

I'm doing this black seadoo boat... and the guy wants it in 3 days (so no time to order anything) and it does have some deeper marks on it from the dock hitting, that he wants gone!

I only have CG Phase V and DG 501 on hand as far has products made for boats,

what could I use from my auto arsenal that would be more agressive and work well?
I have Megs 105/205, Menz PG400, Carpro Fixer, the Optimum line of products.

any of those good on gelcoat? (with wool pad on a rotary of course)

thank you!

scrubs147
05-26-2013, 06:39 PM
The Megs 105 should work pretty well on the gelcoat, I have used it many times on heavy oxidation with very good results. I use the CCS yellow pads on the Flex 3401 on 5. Do small sections 24" x 24" or smaller and work the 105 until you get a nice shine.

the deta
05-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Meguiars combo listed above would work acually great I infact tried it on a gel caot before and it worked wonders to get out the dock marks and so forth so thats what I would go with. And If you don't mind me asking what rotary buffer are you useing dosen't matter on the boat im just curious and of what pad brand are you using?

octane
05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm just using a cheap rotary with lake country wool and wool/acrylic mix pads. worked great on white boats... but I have the impression that a black gel coat will be a bit more of a pita...

might even try the flex with a yellow pad

primo spaghetti
05-26-2013, 07:53 PM
the megs or the menz will work just fine...

for me, i always use a rotary and wool pad on gel...the crap in gelcoat is unreal...you should be ok with the hybrid pad...maybe need a finishing foam to clean up the black...

when you have some time to order some marine specific products...look to aquabuff. you wont be disappointed.

octane
05-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Well I tried with Menz FG400, and I can say is whoa! it's working really nicely for me, and finishes ready for some collonite boat wax...

4 hours to do the black sides, only the top and bottom left to do, but they are white so no big deal... I'm actually starting to like doing boat!

primo spaghetti
05-27-2013, 03:55 PM
nice! you have any pics?

VP Mark
05-27-2013, 05:33 PM
I love doing boats. They go by quickly and you can be really aggressive. Also not as many tight spots to work around.

I've used Carpro Fixer, HD Polish, HD Uno, Optimum Compound, and Megs with success on boats.

Gel coat reacts really well to car care products, it is really more finicky about what type of pad you use. You need to be aggressive if there is bad oxidation.

octane
05-27-2013, 08:09 PM
nice! you have any pics?

yeah, took a couple of pics on my cell phone, I'll wait until I'm finished to post :)

MikeN
05-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Did a boat myself not that long ago and my m105 came in handy big time to cut through. It was a bit of a pain using a DA polisher and definitely wish I had a rotary (future investment). Just an fyi if you have any boat shops near you check there. One by me has the marine line of Megs (a bit more expensive then AG but good for when in a pinch)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online