PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/ restoration ?'s

Jawzey
05-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Hey guys,

Newbie here to detailing. I have a 2006 black MBZ that has not-so perfect paint. There are swirls all over the car, moderate water spots, and some scratches. I have decided to purchase the Griot's Garage 6" polisher, along with LC pads. However, I can't choose what to use to correct my paint. I was pretty confident in the Wolfgang Twins, however I'm now thinking it might not be strong enough to remove everything. Should I consider the M105/205 combo instead? I understand that the M105 is a compound, and is harder to use and more abrasive, compared to the TSR which is not a compound but instead a swirl remover. Also, I've read around these boards that the Wolfgang Finish Glaze is not really a glaze, but a light polish. Is there truth to this? What do you guys think would be better for my paint needs? The Wolfgang Twins or the M105/M205 combo?

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=01ab9b462c&view=att&th=13ee2cd857fabe44&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_QVPCEXqTxCVuiBZfr3oLp&sadet=1369604760427&sads=NP91Mzbdf1jAw-MA1Merm_HWNvg&sadssc=1

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=01ab9b462c&view=att&th=13ee2ce22a14d394&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_QVPCEXqTxCVuiBZfr3oLp&sadet=1369604791643&sads=UtHzNnCv6t2QZjp5WVFVLanU7M0

BradsDetailing
05-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Sub'd

Im also in the same exact situation, same pads and polisher.

I purchased the 105/205 combo but I'm thinking 101 (foam cut) would of been a better option fro what I've read recently.

hernandez.art13
05-26-2013, 06:15 PM
This might be helpful...

http://youtu.be/Af1Ld1m2FG4

Evan.J
05-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Have you tried a test spot with the items that you have? If not do that before you buy something. After checking your results if they aren't to your liking the you may need to bump it up.

105/205 works well. There is a learning curve to using m105 and can cause people new to using it frustration.

But first try what you have in your test spot. Post before and after photos and 50/50 so we can see what you are working with.

Let me say that is never a good thing to just jump to a heavy cut compound like M101 or m105 and remove too much of a healthy clear coat too fast.

the deta
05-26-2013, 06:53 PM
griots polisher is great by the way other than the defects listed above in order for me to help you further what other defects are on the paint such as RIDS? (random isolated deeper scratches) orange peel, dings dents, tar, staining ect.... And to answer your question m105/m205 combo should be outstanding in the case of what your trying to do and what type of wax are you going to use to top off all of your hard work I would suggest Fuzion estate wax honestly a little pricey but you I know will love the depth, gloss ,and shine enhancement of it and if you can't quite afford the full size tin than get the 3oz it's sold both here on the site If you do not know what im talking about than go to the store section of the page and go under waxes and sealent and bam you'll see it definently worth a try in my book.

Jawzey
05-27-2013, 01:43 AM
griots polisher is great by the way other than the defects listed above in order for me to help you further what other defects are on the paint such as RIDS? (random isolated deeper scratches) orange peel, dings dents, tar, staining ect.... And to answer your question m105/m205 combo should be outstanding in the case of what your trying to do and what type of wax are you going to use to top off all of your hard work I would suggest Fuzion estate wax honestly a little pricey but you I know will love the depth, gloss ,and shine enhancement of it and if you can't quite afford the full size tin than get the 3oz it's sold both here on the site If you do not know what im talking about than go to the store section of the page and go under waxes and sealent and bam you'll see it definently worth a try in my book.

Well, various panels of the body have been repainted over its seven years, if that counts for anything. I would say the paint has been moderately neglected. Nothing too serious, but still the paint is far from being perfect. Water marks are prominent, as well as scratches, swirls all around the body. I'm leaning toward the Wolfgang Twins but I am still undecided.

BobbyG
05-27-2013, 05:52 AM
Hey guys,

Newbie here to detailing. I have a 2006 black MBZ that has not-so perfect paint. There are swirls all over the car, moderate water spots, and some scratches.

I have decided to purchase the Griot's Garage 6" polisher, along with LC pads. However, I can't choose what to use to correct my paint. I was pretty confident in the Wolfgang Twins, however I'm now thinking it might not be strong enough to remove everything. Should I consider the M105/205 combo instead?

I understand that the M105 is a compound, and is harder to use and more abrasive, compared to the TSR which is not a compound but instead a swirl remover. Also, I've read around these boards that the Wolfgang Finish Glaze is not really a glaze, but a light polish. Is there truth to this?

What do you guys think would be better for my paint needs? The Wolfgang Twins or the M105/M205 combo?

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=01ab9b462c&view=att&th=13ee2ce22a14d394&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_QVPCEXqTxCVuiBZfr3oLp&sadet=1369604791643&sads=UtHzNnCv6t2QZjp5WVFVLanU7M0

Welcome Aboard! :props:

My first question is what products do you actually have? Initially I thought you had the Wolfgang Twins package but as I read further I'm not so sure...

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is a fine polish...

Wolfgang paint correction products are formulated by Menzerna. Since Menzerna is my favorite for paint correction I'd stick with them.

Since several panels have been repainted you might not find the same approach works in every case.

Jawzey
05-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Welcome Aboard! :props:

My first question is what products do you actually have? Initially I thought you had the Wolfgang Twins package but as I read further I'm not so sure...

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is a fine polish...

Wolfgang paint correction products are formulated by Menzerna. Since Menzerna is my favorite for paint correction I'd stick with them.

Since several panels have been repainted you might not find the same approach works in every case.

Thanks!

The only products I have right now are the Griot's Garage 6" polisher and the LC pads.