PDA

View Full Version : Cream of tartar for cleaning windows

mfergel
05-26-2013, 01:39 PM
A friend if mine that used to sell detailing supplies had told me about this. Has anyone heard of using a paste made from cream of tartar for cleaning windows? I'm guessing it just makes a mild abrasive?

57BORNTORUN
05-26-2013, 02:22 PM
I know it`s good for wine making and meringues.:hungry:

the deta
05-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Lol thats honestly the first time I ever heard of something like that but sense were talking about food on cars I do stand behind the clame that peanut butter is amazing on restoring car trim do to the varying degree of oils in it it's honestly something you ought to try if of caurse you have black trim on the exterior.

57BORNTORUN
05-26-2013, 06:22 PM
I also heard corn starch(dry) shines alumn.It did not work for me.

ScottB
05-26-2013, 06:45 PM
toothpaste yes ... never heard of the cream of tartar

y8s
05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
cream of tartar is a mild acid (pH around 5) so it probably helps remove water spots and other nasty stuff.

mfergel
05-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Did some searching and based on several sites, it looks like mixing it with vinegar is a pretty common cleaner.

Simply mix a couple tablespoons of cream of tartar with a small amount of white vinegar. There are no exact amounts; you want to end up with a thin paste. Start with about half a capful of vinegar and adjust accordingly. After doing it once you’ll discover the right consistency.
Apply it to the glass with a paper towel, a sponge or your fingers and wait two to three hours. Remove it — and the gunk — with a damp sponge and dry with a towel. If some stubborn spots remain, just do it again. This costs mere pennies per application and cream of tartar is one of the few things in the baking aisle with an indefinite shelf life. It will still be good five years from now.

FUNX650
05-28-2013, 02:15 PM
the gunk

costs mere pennies per application

It will still be good five years from now.
If I had that kind of gunk on my auto-glass; and:
Was wanting to be very cost-conscience; and, also:
Wanted a product that will last, at the very least: five years...

I'd buy me some Meguiar's #4.
I already have some old terry towels.

Just saying.

:)

Bob