PDA

View Full Version : Yet another question for the geniuses: Should I clay first?

Pages : [1] 2

Breakwater
05-26-2013, 02:06 AM
I have a 2013 gray truck that I have had for about three months (fwiw, it was manufactured four months ago). Anywho... I wash it at least every other week. 2BM with grit guards and all that jazz... Looks nice overall. No swirls marks visible to the naked eye. My truck has never been clayed, waxed (other than spray wax) or sealed.

I went to LA and went to the CG store. Following some info I got on this forum, I got some blacklight ant V7. It seems this is a good combination. My question is: should I clay my truck first? If so, how do I know which grade of clay to use?

Should I consider a clay substitute? I saw a video on here saying that the clay substitutes were good, but a little grippy.

If I do use clay would my order of operations be the following:
1. Wash and dry
2. Clay
3. Use quick detailer to remove residue (or should I wash again?)
4. Apply blacklight / V7

Any feedback is appreciated.

Breakwater
05-26-2013, 02:10 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1885/medium/image121.jpg

A pic of the gray ghost...

Breakwater
05-26-2013, 02:11 AM
Another pic...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1885/medium/image124.jpg

Breakwater
05-26-2013, 02:12 AM
Last pic...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1885/medium/image125.jpg

Bunky
05-26-2013, 05:22 AM
Truck looks great!

mwoolfso
05-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Yes, clay first. It should go relatively quick and you will find some spots that will surprise you.

T3 AutoDetails
05-26-2013, 06:14 AM
Here's a rule you can use on more than just clay.

Start with the least aggressive first and change accordingly if needed.

And as far as if you need to clay, I would say a baggie test which is taking a ziplock bag and feeling the surface of the paint. Why a bag you ask? Using a bag increases touch sensitivity a lot and allows for feeling anything that has bonded too the paint.

If your ever going to /seal/wax the answer is always Yes you should clay prior so that the sealant and or wax can bond to the paint properly ensuring the best protection and gloss!

BobbyG
05-26-2013, 07:15 AM
I'm partial to nice looking trucks and yours is one of them! :props:

Breakwater
05-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Truck looks great!

Thanks

Breakwater
05-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Yes, clay first. It should go relatively quick and you will find some spots that will surprise you.

Thanks

Breakwater
05-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Here's a rule you can use on more than just clay.

Start with the least aggressive first and change accordingly if needed.

And as far as if you need to clay, I would say a baggie test which is taking a ziplock bag and feeling the surface of the paint. Why a bag you ask? Using a bag increases touch sensitivity a lot and allows for feeling anything that has bonded too the paint.

If your ever going to /seal/wax the answer is always Yes you should clay prior so that the sealant and or wax can bond to the paint properly ensuring the best protection and gloss!

I appreciate the knowledge sharing. Now lets hope for limited marring!

Breakwater
05-26-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm partial to nice looking trucks and yours is one of them! :props:

Thanks for the kind words

Kevin Cullen
05-26-2013, 07:45 AM
+1 with Tory. Do the baggie test, for sure on the horizontal surfaces. It will tell you alot. As others have said, that is a cool looking grey.

sproketser
05-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Nice PU mate !

Breakwater
05-26-2013, 08:26 PM
+1 with Tory. Do the baggie test, for sure on the horizontal surfaces. It will tell you alot. As others have said, that is a cool looking grey.

Thanks. Did it today. Thank goodness for all the cool videos and pics on this forum. I felt what I suspect are surface contaminants.