PDA

View Full Version : Determining how to car for paint film? Options?

ComradeGrumbles
05-25-2013, 11:41 PM
** "Determining how to CARE for paint film" ** Typo, sorry!

As I posted before, I recently purchased a 2011 Mazda 3 GTs. It was extremely well kept and had less than 8k miles on it.

Some sort of paint film was installed by the original dealer when the original owner purchased it, and I'm hoping to learn more about it. I can get some pictures tomorrow if my description doesn't cut it...

It's clear like most all paint films, it's practically invisible until you're right on top of it. When you do see it, it looks like heavy orange peel, but the color shines through very well. It stops half way up the hood. It covers the front bumper, lower front fenders, lower back fenders, mirrors, and just behind the front wheels.

My question is, what should be done to care for this? This is my first experience with paint protection of this nature. I'll keep it on because it does provide very good protection against chips, but I worry that it might get hazy for some reason. That's just a fear of mine! :buffing:

hernandez.art13
05-26-2013, 12:01 AM
I am not sure but just want to subscribe.

It sounds like some sealant or opti? But again I am not sure and it is just a random guess... Maybe the previous owner only applied parts to the panels???

BradsDetailing
05-26-2013, 12:04 AM
sub'd, thinking about getting this done after I get my car polished

theblob640
05-26-2013, 12:14 AM
I have a clear bra installed on my car, on the front bumper, mirror, 1/3 fender, and 1/3 hood. Washing would be the same as you would any car without PPF. I was recommended by the installer to use Xpel products, a quick google search will get you products you need such as sealant and cleaner for PPF. I personally don't use it because the installer also said any quality sealant/wax will pretty much work. I currently use WGDPGS and Fuzion on top of my clear bra. A suggestion when washing the car or applying a sealant/wax is to apply from the PPF towards the paint so you aren't pushing product against the seam, causing it hard to remove and potentially peel the PPF off if done too much.

ComradeGrumbles
05-26-2013, 12:08 PM
I have a clear bra installed on my car, on the front bumper, mirror, 1/3 fender, and 1/3 hood. Washing would be the same as you would any car without PPF. I was recommended by the installer to use Xpel products, a quick google search will get you products you need such as sealant and cleaner for PPF. I personally don't use it because the installer also said any quality sealant/wax will pretty much work. I currently use WGDPGS and Fuzion on top of my clear bra. A suggestion when washing the car or applying a sealant/wax is to apply from the PPF towards the paint so you aren't pushing product against the seam, causing it hard to remove and potentially peel the PPF off if done too much.

For the time being, I've just been using V7 on it as a light sealant because I was afraid to put anything else on it. =O

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both WGDPGS and Fuzion are safe on glass and plastic as well as paint? I'm assuming that any sealant/wax that is safe on plastic would also work well on the clear bra? Also, I would assume that it's necessary to avoid abrasives of any type on it as well?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

ComradeGrumbles
05-26-2013, 12:13 PM
I am not sure but just want to subscribe.

It sounds like some sealant or opti? But again I am not sure and it is just a random guess... Maybe the previous owner only applied parts to the panels???

Actually, I have no idea what the previous owner did to the paint. lol. It's in good condition though, so I'm assuming he/she kept up with it.

Soon after I got it, I used a clay bar and some of Pinnacle's Paintwork Cleansing lotion to prepare the paint for sealing. I was surprised at how clean the clay was after going over the entire car. I'm going to take a guess that the previous owner used clay regularly. I would like to shake his hand, he did a good job! :xyxthumbs:

sub'd, thinking about getting this done after I get my car polished

I can definitely attest to the usefulness of a clear bra now. When I first purchased the car, I wasn't sold on it. When you look closely, it is noticeable and the seam across the middle of my hood looks almost like a really long key scratch! However, the protection from chips is completely worth an imperfect appearance in the long run.

This is the first car I've ever had paint protection, and I'm guessing it will not be my last after seeing how useful it is!

theblob640
05-26-2013, 12:50 PM
For the time being, I've just been using V7 on it as a light sealant because I was afraid to put anything else on it. =O

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both WGDPGS and Fuzion are safe on glass and plastic as well as paint? I'm assuming that any sealant/wax that is safe on plastic would also work well on the clear bra? Also, I would assume that it's necessary to avoid abrasives of any type on it as well?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

Yes, as long as the LSP is safe on plastic, applying it to the clear bra should not be a problem. If anything comes to worse, the PPF specific cleaner and sealant is always an option. As far as abrasives, I've seen people use PlastX on it with success but personally I wouldn't polish it. Only suggestion is to try a test spot if you are planning on polishing. Also you will definitely need to watch the heat when polishing because it will warp.

the deta
05-26-2013, 04:49 PM
They are good but do tend to have the apperance of orang peel unfortunantely thats the down side.

theblob640
05-26-2013, 09:19 PM
They are good but do tend to have the apperance of orang peel unfortunantely thats the down side.

Well it depends, the one I have installed does not have orange peel at all, Suntek. I guess it depends on the manufacturer of the PPF.

ComradeGrumbles
05-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Mine has a slight orange peel look to it, but I can't say it's terrible.

It's really only noticeable when you look closely. The first thing anybody notices is the seam, not the orange peel.