PDA

View Full Version : Noobe with new truck

Pages : [1] 2 3

Old Girl
05-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Hi, everyone! In March I bought a 2013 toyota tacoma 4WD. I've clayed it, used sme other products such as polish and a good wax. Then I found this site and am learning so much. I have a few questions that I'm sure you guys could answer for me if you please. The color of the truck is red. I've used the Blackfire wet diamon and the sun wax and so far I like it a lot.

1. Are there specific products that are better for this color than others?

2. I can't see any swirls or scratches but I just used a flashlight and the garage flourescents. Would the Brinkman light be a good purchase?

3. I've already had my first fender bender and just got it back yesterday. They had to repaint some areas so is there a cure time before I can safely use products and buff?

I also have the Flex 3401 and only use MF towels.

Thanks for any help you can give me. T

hernandez.art13
05-25-2013, 11:30 PM
There is a cure time (don't know it specifically)

Wonder if the shop already applied a wax.

Sounds like you have a beauty! Congratulations.

All I can think of is the opti coat or opti seal.

Then you can just top away if you want lol

(Wax over wax, glaze over glaze, etc.. etc...)

👍

Nate3420
05-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Hi, everyone! In March I bought a 2013 toyota tacoma 4WD. I've clayed it, used sme other products such as polish and a good wax. Then I found this site and am learning so much. I have a few questions that I'm sure you guys could answer for me if you please. The color of the truck is red. I've used the Blackfire wet diamon and the sun wax and so far I like it a lot.

1. Are there specific products that are better for this color than others?

2. I can't see any swirls or scratches but I just used a flashlight and the garage flourescents. Would the Brinkman light be a good purchase?

3. I've already had my first fender bender and just got it back yesterday. They had to repaint some areas so is there a cure time before I can safely use products and buff?

I also have the Flex 3401 and only use MF towels.

Thanks for any help you can give me. T
Dodo juice makes awesome waxes to color. Their super natural wax is top of the line and then their boutique waxes are second to none! I would go with their Lime Prime cleanser and use a white light cutting pad to remove everything on the truck right now. It works great with light swirls and imperfections. Then use your Blackfire wet diamond and let that obviously cure for 12 hours. Then use Dodo Juice Banana Armour which is awesome for red and will make it glow. And let that cure for a couple hours then just pile up layers of Collinite 845 or 915. Any time I have used those combos it has turned out amazing!!!!

spiralout462
05-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Welcome to AGO! That is the same way I ended up on this forum. I own a 2012 black Tacoma. You're doing the right thing by doing your research. As far as lighting goes I use a tripod with 2 500 watt halogens for inspection and polishing. The Brinkman is generally well recieved, but some say there are better made handheld lights. As a general rule fresh paint must cure for 30 days before any wax is applied on the affected area. Once again welcome to the addiction and congrats on the new truck!

95oRANGEcRUSH
05-26-2013, 12:20 AM
There is a cure time (don't know it specifically)

Wonder if the shop already applied a wax.

Sounds like you have a beauty! Congratulations.

All I can think of is the opti coat or opti seal.

Then you can just top away if you want lol

(Wax over wax, glaze over glaze, etc.. etc...)

👍

I am scratching my head as I read this. How can someone who claims to have worked in a body shop not know what the cure time for paint is? My family owns a body shop and I know we *NEVER* apply wax to a vehicle. Why would a body shop apply wax anyway?

OP, give the repainted areas a month to outgas before buffing/waxing/glazing/sealing/etc.

If someone were to use Opti-coat there would be no reason to put a glaze, wax or sealant over it since the glaze, wax or sealant wouldn't even bond to the Opti-coat. The whole point of Opti-coat is to provide a permanent coating that requires no additional maintenance beyond washing the vehicle.

Also, if someone were to use Opti-seal what would be the point of layering a glaze over it? Who layers a glaze over a sealant? And why the heck would you glaze over glaze?

Art, with over 1,000 posts in a month and a half you really need to step back from posting so much and focus more on absorbing information. You are trying to provide knowledge as you learn and your posts often contain a lot of misinformation such as the one I quoted. This does not help the community and could really be detrimental to a newb trying to properly maintain their vehicle. You do not need to make it your daily mission to post in every thread.

hernandez.art13
05-26-2013, 12:53 AM
I am scratching my head as I read this. How can someone who claims to have worked in a body shop not know what the cure time for paint is? My family owns a body shop and I know we *NEVER* apply wax to a vehicle. Why would a body shop apply wax anyway?

OP, give the repainted areas a month to outgas before buffing/waxing/glazing/sealing/etc.

If someone were to use Opti-coat there would be no reason to put a glaze, wax or sealant over it since the glaze, wax or sealant wouldn't even bond to the Opti-coat. The whole point of Opti-coat is to provide a permanent coating that requires no additional maintenance beyond washing the vehicle.

Also, if someone were to use Opti-seal what would be the point of layering a glaze over it? Who layers a glaze over a sealant? And why the heck would you glaze over glaze?

Art, with over 1,000 posts in a month and a half you really need to step back from posting so much and focus more on absorbing information. You are trying to provide knowledge as you learn and your posts often contain a lot of misinformation such as the one I quoted. This does not help the community and could really be detrimental to a newb trying to properly maintain their vehicle. You do not need to make it your daily mission to post in every thread.

You should spend all your time/energy advising Old Girl, instead of going off and keeping track of how many posts I have.

I just love AG and love learning and participating in new information.

95oRANGEcRUSH
05-26-2013, 01:08 AM
You should spend all your time/energy advising Old Girl, instead of going off and keeping track of how many posts I have.

I just love AG and love learning and participating in new information.

I did spend my time/energy advising the OP by correcting all of the misinformation in your post. It appears you missed that.

hernandez.art13
05-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Sorry for your thread getting hijacked old girl.

Let me rephrase my original reply

To OldGirl: "your car sounds great and the only thing I can recommend is opti coat or seal."

This is not advise just a random thought:

"Then if you want, you can try topping, only if you want

From my understanding topping is applying one product on top of another product, wax over glaze, wax over sealant. You can even try it over opti seal because to me it's fun topping."

There was another member that said he wanted to increase his shine so he was going to trying topping like crazy is all I meant"

Alright back to normal detailing life lol
Congratulations again!

hernandez.art13
05-26-2013, 06:02 AM
^ Note: Only top in moderation or the detail gods might get you ✌

Old Girl
05-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Ok. Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I absolutely love my truck and am a bit on the OCD side myself. I will stay on the safe side and leave the new paint alone for a month or so. The dodo juice sounds good. Haven't tried that yet! I'm probably in to AG for around $500 now.

I've watched a ton of the videos and read a ton of articles and I'm afraid I've let my "housework" slide. Oh well.

I'm here to learn and do and at some point maybe I can help someone else learn as we'll. thanks again for the thoughtful replies! Keep 'em coming!

primo spaghetti
05-26-2013, 07:28 PM

hehe...finally someone called the expert out. :iagree:

pointillistic_practitioner
05-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Actually, I remember having this conversation with mike when a family member got a new car...I wanted to know whether to wax it or not and mike said that w/ modern clears, you really don't have to wait for the paint to cure. I've never used OC 2.0 but perhaps people like to use a glaze/wax over it to attain extra shine? btw we should all try to get along and post criticism in a friendly manner b/c we're all here to help each other out @ ago!

hernandez.art13
05-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Don't mean to come out a Mr. know it all, I just am here to learn and to try and teach what I know. (I know it's beginner stuff)

But just love being and participating here on AG

95oRANGEcRUSH
05-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Actually, I remember having this conversation with mike when a family member got a new car...I wanted to know whether to wax it or not and mike said that w/ modern clears, you really don't have to wait for the paint to cure. I've never used OC 2.0 but perhaps people like to use a glaze/wax over it to attain extra shine? btw we should all try to get along and post criticism in a friendly manner b/c we're all here to help each other out @ ago!

It's possible that I am working with "old" knowledge as far as the 30 day rule in applying something over fresh paint. I will concede that.

My point in NOT topping OC is that whatever you put over OC will not bond to it. So, whether it be a glaze, a wax or a sealant there is no point as it won't form a bond to the OC. For whatever reason, people are absolutely obsessed with layering on this site and I don't know if that derives from the Zaino-craze days or what but it is just silly. We are not baking cakes here.

As a general rule, 2 coats is all that is needed to ensure proper coverage. Anything beyond that provides diminishing returns and is a waste of both product and time. However, if people feel better applying coat after coat after coat then so be it. It's a free country, do what you like. Just don't try to convince me I need 6 layers of 845, 3 of V7 and 1 of OCW for the ultimate shine.

BTW, my criticism was posted fairly AND, most importantly, I provided the correct information to the OP. Someone who is new to detailing (Art) and still learning should do less posting and more reading and absorbing of information. Not every thread requires a reply to boost one's post count. And, when offering product advice it is best to do so having experience with said products and/or intimate knowledge of the products through learning. Otherwise, it looks silly when recommending that someone glaze over glaze or glaze over OC.

hernandez.art13
05-26-2013, 09:04 PM
I liked your last post till the end Mr. 95 lol

I am the student in front of the class that keeps raising there hand and participating.

Gary Dean should make Infinite Juice Topping Juice lol

I do want to buy the Gar Dean Juice btw lol