PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Opti-seal/wax applications..

MrOneEyedBoh
05-25-2013, 09:40 PM
I just did my truck in SSR1, then wiped it down with Griots Pre-Wax cleaner ( as per Mike here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html ... You have to scroll down to where he lists Griots products )

Then I hit it with opti-seal. Now what I didnt notice is this wet look that people talk about. I did it around 5:30 and the sun was on its way down. So I started on the shaded side ( all panels were under 90 deg. ) then worked my way around. What I noticed is that I either had too much or not enough on the applicator. Im sure its a learning curve, and I'll get the hang out of. Then I came back in about 1-1:15 hours later and did another coat to hopefully hit the places that I could have missed.

Now what Im really wondering is this. The truck is going to be sitting outside while it cures. When I go back out there tomorrow to hit the truck with some Collinite 845 ( to hopefully bring that pop out in my paint and give it some depth ) do I need to or should I wipe it down with Optimum WW ( QD strength ), Ultima WW, Optimum spray wax, Duragloss spray wax?

OR just go over it with a plush MF lightly to knock off the pollen or whatever is on the paint?

jlax2485
05-25-2013, 09:44 PM
If it is going to sit outside- use a quick detailer (I like ONR diluted for this purpose) and wipe the car down with microfiber towels.

Opti-seal, if done correctly, will leave a "Candy-coated" look to your car which I am a fan of. To get the look you have to wait for the product to dry a bit- you wont notice it right after you apply. There is definitely a learning curve to this stuff, but you should get used to seeing the product go on the car and how much you will need. The best way to tell is to feel with your applicator. If it is not slick, then you haven't gone over that spot yet!

Vegas Transplant
05-25-2013, 10:13 PM
If it is going to sit outside- use a quick detailer (I like ONR diluted for this purpose) and wipe the car down with microfiber towels.

Opti-seal, if done correctly, will leave a "Candy-coated" look to your car which I am a fan of. To get the look you have to wait for the product to dry a bit- you wont notice it right after you apply. There is definitely a learning curve to this stuff, but you should get used to seeing the product go on the car and how much you will need. The best way to tell is to feel with your applicator. If it is not slick, then you haven't gone over that spot yet!

+1.
By the time you had worked yourself around the vehicle, OOS should have worked its magic. You can literally watch the transformation in progress with this product. The gloss in my avatar pic is all OOS after polishing.

MrOneEyedBoh
05-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys. I dont know maybe I like the look of Collinite or maybe have grown accustomed to that tone... I will still use opti-seal because of its longevity and I'll use it under my collinite. Especially when the salt months come into play.

I have the ONRWW, would that still be alright to use prior to Collinite?

hernandez.art13
05-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Just wondering, why did't you go with opti coat? Is it because it is permanent?

The opti seal and coat have really caught my interest, but thinking about trying the opti seal over the opti coat because it is not permenant (Everything here on AG catches my interest haha)

MrOneEyedBoh
05-25-2013, 11:59 PM
I've seen here and there that opti-coat can be hard to apply correctly. So I went with opti-coat. Nothing major behind the decision just on a whim.

jlax2485
05-26-2013, 07:17 PM
I applied opti coat to my new WRX maybe 3 months ago and it is so worth the money and time it takes to properly polish the paint to get it perfect prior to applying. My car will repel water like I have never seen before with a wax or sealant. I highly recommend it- one syringe could get you about 7-8 applications which is damn good value for the money.

In addition, any marring or swirling will be on the opti coat and you can just polish it down and reapply without worrying about eating into your clear-coat.

You can still apply wax over it, which I do regularly because I like to experiment with different looks. Stuff is worth it's weight in gold for the protection and peace of mind it gives an OCD detailer like me lol.