PDA

View Full Version : tips for detailing biz

tinctorus
05-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey guys im starting up my own detailing biz and was just looking for some tips to help me out
some things i am looking for would be tips such as tools to make the best use of my time such as that foaming gun i have seen talked about on here
aslo what high speed buffer would you think is the best the porter cable????
just give me some tips guys
ill have a trailer with its own water supply and a gas powered generator and gas powered pressur washer so i dont have to depend on clients for anything:awesome: Feed back please

scottgt
05-28-2007, 01:41 PM
make sure you pratice with even the PC first..do just start a business without the practice...now that being said.washing cars is very simple. start washing cars first and after you have had some time to practice with the polishing, then you can offer that to your customers

AUdakota
05-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Im with scott here my first time to polish my truck took about 15 hours, i think it might be kind of hard to get someone to pay for 15 hours of work. I would start offering simple wash and wax packages that the people can upgrade to better waxes, or wheel sealants, etc. Than from there practice with the PC on your own or friends cars until you can do good work in decet time, from there you can offer poishing to customers and than you can start the whole process over with the rotary and than you can do even more even faster.

orngez
05-28-2007, 02:48 PM
i agree with the others...work your way up...i know at age 16 my detailing business started with a bucket (it used to contain kosher pickles my family used at our restaurant), some laundry detergent, a can of turle wax, and some old bath towels....if you want to jump into "full" detailing...i.e. paint correction, interior, exterior, engine bays, etc...i recommend you practice on friends and family first. Basically people who are willing to give you their cars for an entire day (10 hrs +). learn what products work for you...and look for products that will help you save time for the methods you use....for me a bucket wash is a time waster...somer prefer it...so i invest in foam guns and foam lances...not bucket dollies and grit guards (even though i still have them :) )...everyones technique yields the need for different tools...i dont use interior brushes..i use compressed air cans instead....you can see the list of tools is endless...and thats why you should detail a couple cars first to see what needs you have...as you detail more cars you will see gaps in your technique and supplies...and then buy and learn accordingly

JBs
05-28-2007, 03:59 PM
i just started mine up and have been making a couple hundred in the last few weeks. start with washes and work your way up, not just offering one type of wash (ie wash/wax in one formula, wash with high quality, wash/wax with high quality etc)

and your kind of far from starting if you haven't invested in at least a PC yet (start with that, not a rotary)

EAS
05-31-2007, 08:19 PM
You can't go wrong with a PC. You will get better results than by hand. You need little experience for a porter cable. Quality products do warrant quality results ALWAYS!