PDA

View Full Version : I p a

Pages : [1] 2

DogRescuer
05-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Can someone please tell me what IPA stands for?

sproketser
05-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Isopropyl alcohol

DogRescuer
05-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Isopropyl alcohol
Thanks, why would someone use alcohol on their car?

af90
05-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Remove sealants, waxes, polishing oils, to start on a clean slate and true nature of the paint. Effective after polishing as well.

BradsDetailing
05-24-2013, 07:26 PM
usually after polishing to remove any excess oil to create a better bond with the paint's surface and sealant/wax

DogRescuer
05-24-2013, 07:35 PM
usually after polishing to remove any excess oil to create a better bond with the paint's surface and sealant/wax
Is that the same as "rubbing alcohol"?.

BradsDetailing
05-24-2013, 07:55 PM
no, rubbing alcohol can be several different things

inDetail
05-24-2013, 08:24 PM
India Pale Ale. I think I'm gonna go grab one right now.

statusdetailing
05-24-2013, 08:32 PM
I didn't used to be a believer in IPA, but I converted a while back. I've even talked about how I didn't think it was very important, on this forum. I now use it between polishing steps. I do a section, do an IPA wipe and move to the next section.

This actually saves time because it prevents compounds and polishes from bonding to the paint surface which can be really difficult to remove if you compound an entire vehicle and then go back to remove the residue.

IPA really gives a clean, residue free surface, unlike most quick detailers etc.

JJH
05-24-2013, 08:40 PM
The only issue with doing on an IPA wipe down after polishing is that it can reintroduce swirls/micro-marring/scratching if done incorrectly.

Any tips so that you don't mar say a darker color car when doing a final IPA wipe on a black car?

statusdetailing
05-24-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm currently using 70% IPA mixed 1:1 with water. I know some guys get scientific about their dilution ratio, but as of right now I'm not too concerned. I'm very confident that this mixture won't hurt modern clear coats. I probably wouldn't go spraying it on a damaged clear coat system or a single stage paint. IPA is a fairly weak chemical, imo, compared to some of the stuff we put on paint.

statusdetailing
05-24-2013, 08:47 PM
The only issue with doing on an IPA wipe down after polishing is that it can reintroduce swirls/micro-marring/scratching if done incorrectly.

Any tips so that you don't mar say a darker color car when doing a final IPA wipe on a black car?

I've heard Mike talking about that. I always spray plenty of product to thoroughly wet the surface. In my mind, this will rewet the lubricants in the compound/polish and help remove the residue without reintroducing swirls.

If you are working on super soft paint, like on a black Subaru, it might be a good idea to just use ONR or something similar that also offers lubrication. It may not get the surface as lazer clean, but you won't be reintroducing swirls either. Just my two cents.

af90
05-24-2013, 08:52 PM
How does IPA work? Does it bond to oils and when wiped clean you pick up both IPA and oils/wax, etc... or does it cause those particles to evaporate? If it did couldn't you just let it air dry if the IPA was mixed with distilled water?

statusdetailing
05-24-2013, 09:07 PM
IPA is a solvent as opposed to a cleaner or surfactant. Solvents dissolve and break appart compounds, dirt, tar, etc. Surfactants break the surface tension of the compound, dirt, etc. Similar, but different.

Solvents tend to work better on things like tar, oil, grease, grime, imo. Thus, the reason IPA works great on compounds and polishes. It breaks down the oily residue and lubricants very easily.

statusdetailing
05-24-2013, 09:08 PM
I meant to ad that it leaves very little to no residue as opposed to most other solvents like, kerosene, xylene, d limonene etc.