PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Body Car

PristinePro
05-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi,
I have polished many aluminum rims in my time but never have I had to polish an entire cars aluminum body. Granted it is a Cobra so its not a large body but plenty of small areas that will take some time to finess. I have lots of experience with polishing clear coat as I do that on a regular basis. Has anyone here polished an aluminum body? I have only seen pics of the car so far but the finish looked like it was in bad shape, and the new owner confirmed that it was really marred up from some improper cleanings from the looks of it. So its going to need some extra love. I am researching some products to use on his new baby. Going to need something with cutting power and another to jewel the finish up. Also a very durable sealer. Recomendations on some worthy products would be great to help my search. Thanks

PristinePro
05-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Just to make sure no ones confused, it is a bare aluminum body thats been polished. So no paint. After reading my post I thought I should clarify that haha

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Pics??

Blackthorn One
05-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Sounds like this job calls for metal polish and metal sealant. I don't see why you would use paint polish for aluminum. Lots of black pads and towels in your future.

Durallymax
05-24-2013, 02:48 PM
There are a few companies that sell wheels and compounds that will work well for aluminum. Caswell plating and Zephyr are two examples.

I have never tries any of my paint wheels or compounds on the aluminum.

You will need a rotary to run the buffing wheels as you run them on edge.

Get some sandpaper around fpr the deep stuff. 320 is usually about the coarsest many go but some go down lower. Sand back to 600 and the emery compound will take the sanding marka out.

You will also want full PPE. I like to wear disposeable suits. Youll need some goggles or a full face mask, if you gp the goggles route you will want a half mask respirator. The respirator is important, aluminum oxide is nasty stuff and has a whole host of healt risks. Keep your skin covered and use a respirator and youll be fine. It does take extended exposure to cause serious issues but it doesnt hurt to protect yourself.

PristinePro
05-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Here are some pics

PristinePro
05-24-2013, 03:19 PM
There are a few companies that sell wheels and compounds that will work well for aluminum. Caswell plating and Zephyr are two examples.

I have never tries any of my paint wheels or compounds on the aluminum.

You will need a rotary to run the buffing wheels as you run them on edge.

Get some sandpaper around fpr the deep stuff. 320 is usually about the coarsest many go but some go down lower. Sand back to 600 and the emery compound will take the sanding marka out.

You will also want full PPE. I like to wear disposeable suits. Youll need some goggles or a full face mask, if you gp the goggles route you will want a half mask respirator. The respirator is important, aluminum oxide is nasty stuff and has a whole host of healt risks. Keep your skin covered and use a respirator and youll be fine. It does take extended exposure to cause serious issues but it doesnt hurt to protect yourself.

Thanks for the advise. Yea I have suited up before doing lots of rim polishing with my rotary in the past. Ill definitely be suiting up for this. Do you know of a really good sealer? After all of this work the owner would like it to be low maintainence for a little while. Meaning just wash and enjoy it. I have Klasse and it does say it can be used on aluliminum so im wondering if I should go with this since it holds up well.

Blackthorn One
05-24-2013, 03:21 PM
It looks like the stripes are brushed and the rest is polished. Masking tape time. I agree about not breathing aluminum. You need a mask.

sproketser
05-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Real nice ride in there mate ! Was it clear coat finished as well !

FUNX650
05-24-2013, 05:12 PM
A couple of other vehicles made from "rust-resistant metals".

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2522/3859939626_d557b593f7.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w259/bluebirdinmemphis/81%20Delorean%201905/DSC_0103.jpg

Gives you something to shoot for.

(Suggestion: Mother's Billet Polish for the finishing/jeweling step on your project)

Bob

PristinePro
05-25-2013, 02:01 AM
O yea, there will definitely be a mask involved, a full suit for me, painters tape, plastic to protect the interior, lots of black towels and then some.

The stripes are sanded in and the body is unsealed polished aluminum.

The green rouge I've used in the past gave perfect results on aluminum wheels. Not sure what grade of rouge I'll be starting with though until I see the car in person. I would like to have a really good finishing polish on hand so I am in search for few contenders plus the perfect sealer to seal in the beauty.

PristinePro
05-25-2013, 02:05 AM
Real nice ride in there mate ! Was it clear coat finished as well !

Thanks, no clear just raw aluminum!

PristinePro
05-25-2013, 02:12 AM
A couple of other vehicles made from "rust-resistant metals".

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2522/3859939626_d557b593f7.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w259/bluebirdinmemphis/81%20Delorean%201905/DSC_0103.jpg

Gives you something to shoot for.

(Suggestion: Mother's Billet Polish for the finishing/jeweling step on your project)

Bob

Yea those are some nice rides! Is that Delorean at the Fresh Prince of Bel Airs house haha?? Thanks for suggestion I will put it in the line up for finishing polishes.