PDA

View Full Version : Paint Issue - Etching..?

Pages : [1] 2

Azure
05-24-2013, 11:08 AM
I have an Azure blue 2004 Mustang Mach 1 with low miles that has been garage kept by me, and the previous owner who had it since 2006. From a distance, the paint looks great for its age. When you get up close, you notice etching (or something) in what looks to be the clear coat. This is in most of the horizontal surfaces of the car; the hood, roof, and fender tops and a little in the door tops. The degree of inperfections is various throughout. Some seem like they are kind of deep. I am stepping outside to take close-up pics right now, so stay tuned for a brief intermission...:D

Azure
05-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Okay, here's some pics. I hope they turn out.

hernandez.art13
05-24-2013, 11:30 AM
I can't see anything. Maybe other detailers can. Step out again and put your finger where the problem is. (The more the merrier)

Evan.J
05-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Okay, here's some pics. I hope they turn out.

I see some light swirls in the first phots. Are you talking about the white specs around the sun in the fist photo as well?

Good how to artuicle for capturing defects!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/26917-how-capture-swirls-scratches-etchings-other-surface-defects-your-camera.html

Azure
05-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Oops, those didn't turn out as I expected. Let me see if I can zoom in and crop to a few of the spots I'm talking about.

Azure
05-24-2013, 12:12 PM
^Here's a cropped pic with arrows pointing out a few of the etches.

They are light colored around them probably becasue it's crazy sunny out (for a change) today. I could probably get better pics in the garage with the fluorescent lights, I guess.

hernandez.art13
05-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Have you tried doing anything?

If I was you I'd first wash the car to see what happens and see if the spots become duller.

If they do then maybe a a clay could remove this.

If not i'd start with a light polish, by hand a MF towel. Then keep moving up till I I got to Compound.

I'd work in a small area and work at it very lightly each step all by hand.

See how it goes and report back.

Oh and make sure the car surface is not hot.

Good luck

Azure
05-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Have you tried doing anything?

If I was you I'd first wash the car to see what happens and see if the spots become duller.

If they do then maybe a a clay could remove this.

If not i'd start with a light polish, by hand a MF towel. Then keep moving up till I I got to Compound.

I'd work in a small area and work at it very lightly each step all by hand.

See how it goes and report back.

Oh and make sure the car surface is not hot.

Good luck

I tried a clay bar and that didn't seem to touch it. I've been afraid to try anything other than wax/cleaner wax because I'm not sure what to look for to know if you are cutting too deep.

Is a "scratch remover" the same as a polishing compound?

Thanks for the help!

hernandez.art13
05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm not familiar with scratch remover.
You can go to to your local auto store, like pep boys and they should have Meguiar's ultimate polish and compound.

Start with the polish then proceed with compound if the polish doesn't work.

What detailing supplies do you have?

If this doesn't work you might have to machine polish even wet sand but don't want to advise on that.

Anybody else want to chime in?

hernandez.art13
05-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Does your fingernail get stuck when you run it through this area? 18442

sproketser
05-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Is it possible that these are rocks that hit the hood mate !

As some wrote , I have trouble looking at the pics , but it might be from my end .

Azure
05-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Does your fingernail get stuck when you run it through this area? 18442

Yup, they are kinda sunk in. We're talking a mm, maybe a half of a mm.

I've not bought anything to tackle this prob. I'll I have is the typical basics like microfiber wax pads and microfiber towels. I've been using Mothers brand products, but I will be selecting a favorite product based on my forum reading and trials. I wanted to discuss this prob with the experienced people so I don't waste my money.

Here is a video I just took. Maybe it helps some..?

http://youtu.be/AJboO1PKYeE

I took some pics in my garage and will post after I crop them. No sunshine this time. :)

Azure
05-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Is it possible that these are rocks that hit the hood mate !

As some wrote , I have trouble looking at the pics , but it might be from my end .

I do have rock chips, but these look more like something got on the paint. :confused:

mg6045
05-25-2013, 07:44 AM
thats road rash on the paint similar to what you will see on your windshield. basically like the leading edge being sand blasted. you will see this on the front clip of every and any car that drives on the highway.

Azure
05-25-2013, 07:48 AM
thats road rash on the paint similar to what you will see on your windshield. basically like the leading edge being sand blasted. you will see this on the front clip of every and any car that drives on the highway.

This is all over the hood, roof and tops of the fenders and doors. I'm not sure I agree with your assessment, but I appreciate your opinion. Thanks