PDA

View Full Version : Washing with Dawn

Pages : [1] 2 3

runrun411
05-24-2013, 07:44 AM
I've been reading that Dawn dishwashing liquid will remove previously applied waxes but will it also remove old sealant as well?

Feed back please

jimjc
05-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Dawn darn near takes everything off. It works because dish washing cleaners are extremely good at breaking down oils quickly, they`ll get your paint squeaky clean. Jim

Wheelzntoys
05-24-2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/48953-dawn-wash.html

BradsDetailing
05-24-2013, 08:03 AM
yes

inDetail
05-24-2013, 08:15 AM
It will take everything off. Despite what most people will say I always wash my after winter detail jobs with a light mixture of dawn. It really helps getting the NE road salt and other winter junk off your car. That is usually when your car is at it's worst up here. I have also mixed it with distilled water and used it as a pre soak rinsed it off and washed with normal car shampoo. Once a year is not going to kill your paint.

PiPUK
05-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Chemical formulator and manufacturer here. I've attempted to tell people the truth of the matter but it seems not to be getting through. So here's a different approach - if you actually get your LSP off this easily, it is not very good. Of the half dozen different sealants we manufacture, none will be stripped by hand washing up liquid. In fact, even the QD sprays will not strip that easily. So ask yourself, am I right and washing up liquids leave residues which modify the surface behaviour or are the products we made simply that much better than everything else? I'd like to say the latter but...

For additional note, check the specs of washing up liquids and compare to car shampoos - if you think Dawn is a guaranteed strip, you may be just a bit confused.

FUNX650
05-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Hi runrun...

Disclaimer: I really can't read your mind...But:

I believe you're asking if, by using a specific cleaner/detergent (Dawn), will it remove "old (aged)"-sealants?
That is: Sealants nearing the end of their expected life-cycle?

Is that because:
1.) You are using Dawn as a maintenance-wash detergent; and, you are concerned that by using it you
may not be able to preserve any remaining remnants of an "aged-sealant"?

2.) You are wanting to strip any remaining presence of a particular "aged-sealant" from a vehicle...
to start anew with a bare-paint scenario, so to speak?

As to 1.):
I personally will not advise using Dawn for maintenance washes.

As to 2.):
In order to alleviate any speculation on my part; and if you have the time...
Go to one of your local reputable body shops and ask them what "special cleaners" they use on cars
before painting them to insure that they have removed all the chemicals/components/ingredients
that are in the majority of wax/sealant formulations.

If none of the above examples are pertinent:
I'll suggest to:
-Wash your vehicle with a car-specific washing detergent.
-Follow this up with a claying-session (if needed).
-Then even a 'mild-polishing-session' should eliminate the remainder of an old-sealant.

Proceed from there with your plans to eventually re-LSP.

:)

Bob

Shortspark
05-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Here is what I do and it works just fine:
Wash the car with CG's Citrus Clear Shampoo at the "stripping" ratio (2 ounces per gallon of water). Clay and wash again. Polish with P21s Paintwork Cleanser (Griot's 6" polisher with any quality polishing pad without a lot of cut). Apply LSP with finishing pad. This routine is simple, straight forward and does a good job for me. I must say that I use Dawn too and like it a lot - for my dishes.

hernandez.art13
05-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Chemical formulator and manufacturer here. I've attempted to tell people the truth of the matter but it seems not to be getting through. So here's a different approach - if you actually get your LSP off this easily, it is not very good. Of the half dozen different sealants we manufacture, none will be stripped by hand washing up liquid. In fact, even the QD sprays will not strip that easily. So ask yourself, am I right and washing up liquids leave residues which modify the surface behaviour or are the products we made simply that much better than everything else? I'd like to say the latter but...

For additional note, check the specs of washing up liquids and compare to car shampoos - if you think Dawn is a guaranteed strip, you may be just a bit confused.

It got through here and thanks a lot. What do you recommend to strip off everything?

Pureshine
05-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Dawn will take off most sealants but will not take off sealants like opti-coat and Sonax they are more of a permanent coating. It will strip wax and sealants like power lock.

Dogfather
05-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Last weekend I began the spring detail of my daily driver by washing with Dawn then "claying" with an AutoScrub fine mitt. Despite the forecast it started raining. I then became very puzzled as I watched all the tiny beads developing on my car. What's up with that?

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Im sure a combo of IPA and Dawn will do the trick.

Pureshine
05-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Last weekend I began the spring detail of my daily driver by washing with Dawn then "claying" with an AutoScrub fine mitt. Despite the forecast it started raining. I then became very puzzled as I watched all the tiny beads developing on my car. What's up with that?

Did you have a sealant on your car?

Dr_Pain
05-24-2013, 09:53 AM

As it was described before, a clean car (unprotected) can and will sometime bead. The claying process should have removed all protection. Now, was it your first time using the mitt? If so maybe it had some "oils" from the manufacturing process left on the mitt? Did you "break it in"??:dunno:

Dogfather
05-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Did you have a sealant on your car?
Yes, applied in October
DG 501-DG 111- OOS