PDA

View Full Version : Best way not to touch black car?

Pages : [1] 2

Djulin
05-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Hey guys, I own a Black Mustang that is only driven in nice weather during the summer months. And it's garage kept all the time. I bought it last October and gave it a full detail before I put it away for the winter. I haven't added another coat of wax since then. I'm deathly afraid to touch it. LOL I've just done foam washes to get the dust off and light road dirt. So I think I'm in need of a refresher as far as wax goes. I plan on stripping it and giving it a polish before I put it away again. So my question is should I just add another coat of Natty's or should I use a spay wax? I'm not sure if one requires less touching than the other. Or just let me know if I'm being paranoid.

Thanks!

GenesisCoupe
05-23-2013, 09:44 PM
you are being too paranoid, however i respect your decision to try not to ruin all the hard work you put in to making that black pony sparkle..

However.... Don't be afraid lol.. Give it a good 2 bucket method wash and take your time, stay out of the sun and blow dry the car using a leaf blower. Use a new pad to apply a wax and a plush microfiber to buff off and you will be good to go.

During the winter month, i only rinse my car with a hose at work (heated garage), i don't bother with any rinseless or waterless washes..

good luck!

swanicyouth
05-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Kinda paranoid. You haven't really driven it yet this year? Maintenance done on the paint correctly won't cause any damage. I would say its due for another coat of wax. Just use quality wash mitts, towels, etc... And it will be fine. You can't detail it if you don't touch it. What's the fun if having it if you can't drive it for fear of having to clean it?

dorkiedoode
05-23-2013, 10:24 PM
i think the best looking car is the one that's on the road. no point of keep it so nice if you can't show it off. so if you're going to polish it and store it again. you might as well just store it and then polish it when you decide to take it out.

cardaddy
05-24-2013, 01:33 AM
First welcome to AGO!

Now, yes you're being a bit paranoid. Did you detail it before putting it up, or did you do paint correction on it? Might be a good time to get a buffer out and spend some quality time with the old girl. Who knows... you and her both might just like it. ;)

You need to get familiar with it, and what scratches it as well as what doesn't. Keep a quick detail kit in the trunk. Put a bottle of water in there, some quick detail spray, maybe some spray sealant. And you want to have SEVERAL different grades of microfiber towels. From your cheapest (for bird poo and such) to your very best.

I put the bare minimum of these components in all our cars and DARE the family to show up here with dried bird poo on the car. :laughing: I've shown them all (time and time again) how to safely remove poo without scratching the paint.

If you don't have some nice heavy microfibers, then get a few, even if it's just a 3 pack. Something at least 530 or better and plush. Although the Cobra 530's are not as plush as 600's and up (which your black paint would love).

The problem with black is it's soft (not by design per say). It's just that carbon black pigment is softer than titanium dioxide (white) pigment.

But I'll admit I'm seriously OCD about touching the paint on my G. It scratches so freaking bad that I'll use a microfiber towel to close the trunk each and every time. When I close the door I only touch the rubber trim, EVER! :rolleyes: Heck, when I get in the car I'll look around it to see if anything needs a spritz of detail spray, or needs dusting and do it in the parking lot before I even crank the darned thing up. Some people look at me like I'm nuts, but most smile and tell me it's a nice (very shiny) car. And some even ask who/where I got it done like that. That's when you sell to a perfect stranger, even when you were not there to sell in the first place. :xyxthumbs:

Spiney
05-24-2013, 05:51 AM
Welcome, just wanted to let you know I fully understand. We have a 96 SVT Cobra, Black. It scratches if I look at it wrong. We too are sunny day only. But we take it out more than you or so it seems. We put on about 4500 miles a year.

Like was mentioned I keep a detail kit in the car. I use the least contact method I can too. If she's just dusty I'll rinse her off and then blow dry with a leaf blower. We pat anything that's missed with a plush waffle weave. NEVER wipe dry, always use detail spray.

Right now our car is due for a correction for show season. After I correct and seal the paint with Ultimate Paint Guard Plus I derail using Ultimate detailing spray.

I may top with Colonite 845. If I do then ill use Optimum spray car wax or Meg's ultimate spray wax for after wash touch ups.

Right now my biggest pain is pollen. And I'm worried about the 17 year Cicadas that are due soon. They can cause quite a wallop when they hit. They are huge and very messy.

What mustang do you have? Where are you located? We are in Reading PA area.

Read some older posts of yours see you bought a 2013 GT and live in the Chicago area. So I guess I won't be seeing you at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle PA.

Djulin
05-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I was in Chicago but the first thing I did when I moved back to PA was buy a car. lol. I couldn't stand living without one for 3 years. I live in the Pittsburgh area.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I needed to hear this stuff. Thanks.

VAS
05-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Def seal with something like collinite. I used a wax when I did the last paint correction on my black truck, expecting to be able to detail my car often enough that I wouldn't have to worry about protection. Well I missed a couple details on it, and my parking space left some serious sap deposits on my hood this spring that I could not treat fast enough, and It ruined my hood. Keeps me up at night folks, always use a long lasting sealer over a wax.

Theo_Auto_Fines
05-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Best way, well you can always advertise it and sell it.

Klasse Act
05-24-2013, 11:50 AM
i think the best looking car is the one that's on the road. no point of keep it so nice if you can't show it off. so if you're going to polish it and store it again. you might as well just store it and then polish it when you decide to take it out.

Well said!

If its only driven occasionally why in the world would you wanna strip anything off of it?

Can we some pics of the car?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

sunday joe
05-24-2013, 12:01 PM
you are being too paranoid, however i respect your decision to try not to ruin all the hard work you put in to making that black pony sparkle..

However.... Don't be afraid lol.. Give it a good 2 bucket method wash and take your time, stay out of the sun and blow dry the car using a leaf blower. Use a new pad to apply a wax and a plush microfiber to buff off and you will be good to go.

During the winter month, i only rinse my car with a hose at work (heated garage), i don't bother with any rinseless or waterless washes..

good luck!

They are cars after all. They will get dirty when driven. You are right not to be so particular, specially in the winter.

Djulin
05-25-2013, 09:37 PM
As asked... here are some pics of my 2013 Mustang GT after today's detail.

jlax2485
05-25-2013, 09:59 PM
you could always polish her out and put opti-coat on, then you wouldn't have to worry about it at all :D.

hernandez.art13
05-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Opti coat! Lol

Spiney
05-26-2013, 11:57 PM
DJulin, looks great sir. When done right black rules, till the pollen hits. I know we've got a black 96 SVT Cobra. It gets dusty just sitting in the garage. We have a very good custom car cover, but it scratches the paint, so we don't use it in the garage. I need a light weight dust cover for the garage.