PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to touch up some chipped paint

Ncs0816
05-23-2013, 05:48 PM
I have a Chrysler Sebring 2003. As you can see in the photo the plaint has chipped off in this area. I was thinking about sanding the edges and feathering. I have a 60 gallon compressor and paint gun. Do you think or now if this is possible. ?18411

Ncs0816
05-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Any help would be great

SR99
05-23-2013, 07:49 PM
I've touched up many small rock chips in my day, and that's WAY beyond what I would consider a chip and I wouldn't do it. It looks to me like you've got some adhesion problems over fairly large areas, and even if you somehow did a perfect job feathering and repainting now, there's more delamination to come. In my estimation, the whole panel probably needs to be sanded back and repainted if you want a permanent fix. That's what I'd do (or have done since that's beyond my toolkit) anyway. Is this make/model car known for this? Might check some forums specific to that car.

cardaddy
05-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Dude, that's not a paint chip... that is paint failure. Only thing that is going to fix that is going back to metal, prime, and a good respray.

Is that the only place? Seems it would be doing that in more places based on how bad it looks. If its confined to one panel then you can bet it's been sprayed before.

If it was a insurance repair, and you're the same owner as when the repair was made. Then it'd be a warranty repair I'm willing to bet. (Providing you went to one of their approved shops when the repair was made.) If not, most body shops the last 15 years or so will stand behind their work for as long as you own the car.