PDA

View Full Version : question on claying

Pages : [1] 2

white2001yukon
05-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I recently washed,polished, and waxed my black stang. but I did not clayed it. If I clayed now do I have to polish and waxed again? also what clay do you recommend?

richy
05-27-2007, 10:45 PM
I think it depends on what clay you use..some are more aggresive than others. Clay Magic's stuff is very light and does not remove wax, polish, etc, according to their info.

ewiesner
05-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Anytime I clay, I always follow up with at least wax. The clay is going to remove the particles in the paint, that means its going to remove the wax, too. Just my opinion...

white2001yukon
05-27-2007, 11:39 PM
It really doesn't bother me to do it again, but just wanted to know. I need to get a PC though, easier on the hands.

JBs
05-28-2007, 12:15 AM
It really doesn't bother me to do it again, but just wanted to know. I need to get a PC though, easier on the hands.

pretty sure you didn't really polish anything if you didn't have at least a PC....

darksparkz
05-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Polishing is not protection, so it can't be "removed" per say. Claying would make the paint feel more even and smooth, but it'll remove the wax.

I'd say just wait like two weeks or three weeks, then clay, and re-wax. Dependent on your weather conditions though, if it rains, then maybe shorter.

white2001yukon
05-28-2007, 01:27 AM
Well, its been like 3 weeks since I did all that. But its been raining almost everyday for like two weeks now. I did took my car to a body shop and the guy told me he was going to 3000 sand the whole car and then polish with the machine, I don't know what products he used but the job looked alright.This was right before I applied klasse AIO and the NB paste wax.

Nica
05-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Well, its been like 3 weeks since I did all that. But its been raining almost everyday for like two weeks now. I did took my car to a body shop and the guy told me he was going to 3000 sand the whole car and then polish with the machine, I don't know what products he used but the job looked alright.This was right before I applied klasse AIO and the NB paste wax.

Forgive me if I missed it but why was he sanding the vehicle? What are you trying to remove with clay? Just wondering that's all...um..got any pictures? :D

Surfer
05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
ok....and why is he going to sand your car with 3K grit???

richy
05-28-2007, 09:38 AM
something sounds fishy there..post some pics and describe the surface

white2001yukon
05-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, when I bought the car it looked like the paint had never been buffed before. The paint looked a little faded especially on the hood. He said that sanding the car a little would remove the burn-like paint. I took my car to him a little before I started reading on this forums a lot. Now that I know a little more, I would rather bought a PC and did it myself with AG products. I do not have close up pictures of my car, or how the car looked before. But this how
it looks now.http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p283/teos03centennialGT/CRIM0011.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p283/teos03centennialGT/CRIM0012.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p283/teos03centennialGT/CRIM0007.jpg

Truls
05-28-2007, 09:52 AM
Without the close ups on the paint ill say that that car dont need a sanding.

Pinnacle Polyclay, PC, Something from the XMT series and a good sealer would do it good, then top it with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran and post pics here at AGF ;)

white2001yukon
05-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Actually I took this pictures right after I left his shop. Then like a week or two later I ordered the Klasse AIO, and Natty blue paste wax. With the polish and wax my paint did not seem to get a deeper or shinier, it actually looks almost the same. idk maybe cause I applied this products by hand :o

Truls
05-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Without swirl correction, I swear by DuraGloss 101 and Pinnacle Liquid Souveran. that combo looks great on black.

Never used Klasse or Nattys myself, so i dont know the looks on them on black. PC or not, i dont know if there would be a big difference regarding the look if aplyed by PC.

DG 101 and Pinnacle LS is also on with "hand" power imo

But do Clay the car first, that makes the paint smooth and more glossy when Sealer/wax is applyed

white2001yukon
05-28-2007, 10:46 AM
I thought Pinnacle Liquid Souveran is good for light color paints and the Pinnacle paste wax is for darker colors. What other products are good for hand applying? If you think there's not much diff. with the PC/HAND why buy the PC then?:confused: