PDA

View Full Version : Glass polishing?

otruba_843
05-23-2013, 05:37 PM
I have a 2009 BMW 3 series and am curious about glass polishing. With my yearly detail coming up I was wondering if its safe to polish the glass. I was planning to attack it with WG TSR and WG FG. Just to make this clear, WG finishing glaze is still a polish right? Reason why im asking this question is not because im not sure if glass can be polished or not, but rater will polishing the glass remove some coating that is put on it from the factory. Kind of like polishing headlights, its not a good idea if they are not cloudy because you will be removing the coating that prevents the clouding from happening. Is this the same for glass or is glass just glass without any coating to worry about?

af90
05-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Glass is much harder than paint, it can be polished and is necessary if you have water etching and such.

mavin
05-23-2013, 05:44 PM
They have specialized glass polishes on AG:

Pinnacle GlassWork Water Spot Remover, hard water spot remover, glass water spot remover, glass polish, water spot remover for cars (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-glass-water-spot-remover.html)

Durallymax
05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
I've used the Ceriglass and Rayon pads. You need a rotary to get anything done really. Even then its one heck of a workout and time consuming. The windshield I was doing was heavily scratched from lots of winters plowing snow. It slowly started to look better and better but by the time I would've brought that thing back to crystal clear it would've been cheaper to buy a new one, which is what we did anyways because it was cracked.

As for the coatings I do not know. There have been many discussions on glass polishing on here. Search for ceriglass and it will bring up a lot of them.