PDA

View Full Version : Sealant help

Pages : [1] 2

DogRescuer
05-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Hi, I want to try a sealer for the first time with my new da. Can you recommend one that wont break the bank, I usually just use a good paste wax. Here is what I will do now:

Clay
Megs #205
Megs #105
To seal or paste?

Evan.J
05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
DP poli seal. Its on BOGO right now too!

c8n
05-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Just note that some sealant don't play well withe oils from M105.
You can do one of few things...
1. IPA wipe down prior to applying sealant. But this really negates one of the benefits of M105.
2. Find a sealant that does work well with M105... gonna have to do some research.
3. Just simply use Meg's sealant.

cardaddy
05-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Megs M21 2.0, can apply it with a soft pad on your DA. Adds great wetness and depth. Although they don't say anything about it, it does like to cure. Gets even better after 24 hours of curing.

Zapa
05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
seal then let cure than paste... simple. The more layers the better off you are. If I did not have 22ple on my car I would use opti-seal. I have heard that Wolf's Hardbody is supposed to be great stuff, but I have not used the stuff.

BobbyG
05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Steve,

Try this order of operation......

Wash
Clay
Meguiar's M105
Meguiar's M205
IPA or CarPro Eraser
Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-diamond-sealant.html)

DogRescuer
05-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks to all, when you guys say "let cure", do you mean actually to let it sit for 24hrs before removing? And why?

dorkiedoode
05-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Sit for an hour, remove it, then let it sit clean for 12hrs while sealant is curing. Then repeat.

BobbyG
05-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks to all, when you guys say "let cure", do you mean actually to let it sit for 24hrs before removing? And why?

Sealants unlike waxes actually bond to the paint improving it's protection and durability. Most sealants need a 12 hour cure time where it won't come in contact with moisture. Once 12 hours or so have passed you can apply a second cost of sealant or perhaps a nice coat of your favorite carnauba wax.

Elliott.lwy
05-23-2013, 05:22 PM
I am a newbie, but I think M105 should go before M205. For LSP, I would suggest opti-seal and top with OCW :)

dooyaunastan
05-23-2013, 05:23 PM
After using 105 and then 205, you'd be best off performing an IPA wipedown. I'll link to a thread further down this post but essentially you are removing any and all oils & residue left on the surface of the paint after polishing. Heed caution though, you just spent so many hours correcting the finish of your car and should only use the softest, plushest microfiber you can get to perform this step as to not add marring, swirls, or even scratches to your paint.

As for sealants, I selected a sample size of both Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection and Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. If you're doing your own personal vehicles, with how long the products last, and how so little goes such a long way when applying the product, I suggest trying the sample sizes first. The only other sealants that I've been interested in trying are Menzerna Powerlock, Wolf's Hard Body, Optimum Opti-Seal and Meguiar's M21, while others may suit your fancy better than the ones I just mentioned, I'll leave those to others and suggest you look into these.

When I do my vehicles, I'll apply the sealant, then apply tire gel and whatever else needs doing to occupy 30-45 minutes then buff off. It's important to let the sealant 'cure' anywhere from 4-24 hours, the longer the better, but some times you can only do it for so long. It's important that the vehicle doesn't get wet, and since it is the season, try and keep it indoors to avoid pollen contamination as well.

dooyaunastan
05-23-2013, 05:27 PM
I am a newbie, but I think M105 should go before M205. For LSP, I would suggest opti-seal and top with OCW :)

Good catch, not sure how I missed that.

You'll DEFINITELY want to use M105 before M205.

M105 is a compound, it has more cut and will remove heavier defects more quickly, but because of it's nature, can, or most likely will, leave hazing and micro-marring behind.

M205 is a polish, it has amazing corrective abilities of it's own, especially on softer paints, but it's general purpose is to polish or 'refine' the surface to as glossy of a finish as possible.

Using M205 before M105 is a serious waste of your time and your clear coat.

DogRescuer
05-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks I say it wrong but hopefully do it right. What is OCW?

cleanmycorolla
05-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks I say it wrong but hopefully do it right. What is OCW?

Optimum Car Wax. A tremendous bang for your buck wax!

BradsDetailing
05-24-2013, 07:35 PM
I recommend any question you have to just create one thread on it so we can all help you get information in one area rather than having multiple threads. This way you can get started faster!:buffing: