PDA

View Full Version : sticky situation-pine sap

j f go
05-23-2013, 11:33 AM
My sister has a 2012 Camery that she has been parking under a clump of White Pine trees. She either didn't realize,or didn't give it a thought,about what was going to happen when she partook in this extreemly bad choise. (and yes I gave her Holy Hell for the amount of work she will, without a doubt, bestow on me)However what would you folks recomend that I use to clean up this mess and what can I put on the finish afterwards to make it easy on myself when she parks there again. Oh yeah she'll do it again. Thanks for all your help.Feed back please

mfrickman
05-23-2013, 11:38 AM
I've had good luck with Tarminator on tree sap. Let it dwell for a minute and take a pinnacle safe sponge to it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

oldmodman
05-23-2013, 11:42 AM
A car with dried up, old sap was a problem. Nothing would remove it until I remembered that turpentine will dissolve tree sap without harming the painted surface. It worked great.
I took an old terry cloth washcloth and folded it up to make an absorbent pad and wet it with turpentine and placed it on the sap. it only took a couple of minutes until it softened the sap and it came right off. Naturally, the paint needed to be clayed, polished, and protected afterwards.

FUNX650
05-23-2013, 12:05 PM
turpentine will dissolve tree sap without harming the painted surface.
I took an old terry cloth washcloth and folded it up to make an absorbent pad and wet it with
turpentine and placed it on the sap. it only took a couple of minutes until it softened the sap
and it came right off. Naturally, the paint needed to be clayed, polished, and protected afterwards.

^^^This^^^:props:...

Or this:
Tree Sap Remover from ProWax.

http://prowax.com/1gifs/C-46-Ptn.jpg

:)

Bob

zmcgovern45
05-23-2013, 12:16 PM
I use tarminator or CG Bug Bugger and Tar remover (6:1) prior to washing the effected area and have never had an issue removing sap... even sap that has sat for several months.

j f go
05-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I thought turpintine,at first, but then thought you guys could have a magic wand so I wouldn't have to work so hard. Oh well. Called the local detailer, but he hasn't called me back. Thought I'd at least get an est. so she'd have an idea how much she was getting me into. Sisters,gotta love em,cause ya can't kill em.LOL

runrun411
05-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Check this out...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/62912-my-very-first-review-featuring-purell.html

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
05-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Isopropyl Alchohol

Get blue shop towel. TEar to size of tree sap. Saturate torn shop towel with IPA, let sit on sap for several minutes until sap softens. Remove with upward motions with platic razor blade

j f go
05-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Check this out...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/62912-my-very-first-review-featuring-purell.html
Ya know its always the guy with the beater car that comes up with the best and easiest solutions so a HUGE thank you to you. This I can even get her to help me with. Ok ,maybe not. Thanks to you and that shiny beater.:dblthumb2:

j f go
05-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Isopropyl Alchohol

Get blue shop towel. TEar to size of tree sap. Saturate torn shop towel with IPA, let sit on sap for several minutes until sap softens. Remove with upward motions with platic razor blade
Thanks,but since I completely ruined Xmass using a sharp object to open presents for my two boy's ,(a leatherman),I have been fobiden to use them. Still don't know why the wife freaked out, the paramidics had everything under contoll and they gave me a 400 dollar one-eight of a mile ride to the hos-bah-bill. LOL:nomore:

proudpoppa
05-23-2013, 05:55 PM
IPA works very well.

BillE
05-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Turpentine, 'like removing like'.

If it is dried, you'll have to let it dwell on the affected area.

Bill

ziggo99
05-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Germ X works well. A plastic razor blade. Those won't send you to the hospital...hopefully.

willtothewong
07-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Will IPA remove dried sap?