PDA

View Full Version : To add the lube to ipa or not too?

OCD
05-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong.... Fact: IPA is not and does not have any luberocity (made up word), correct?
If this is true, then what do yall think about adding a small amount of a lube like luber or a clay lube to the solution to help prevent the dreaded marring? Or would it deminish the integrity of the IPA? Has anyone tried it?

rms64
05-22-2013, 08:26 PM
I'd think this wouldn't hurt anything but could also defeat the purpose of the IPA to begin with, the point being to remove all remaining polish / compound residue before applying LSP.

I've used CarPro Eraser with great results - and it smells great too!

TroyScherer
05-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Some clay lubes are nothing more than diluted detailing sprays.

If you are using a wax or sealant I don't see a big issue, but if you ware using a coating I would suggest this.

I highly reccomend Eraser or an IPA mixture. I personaly am mixing Eraser with my IPA mixture to make it more cost effective but get my cleaning and lulbrication in one.

Colinpd137
05-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Some clay lubes are nothing more than diluted detailing sprays.

If you are using a wax or sealant I don't see a big issue, but if you ware using a coating I would suggest this.

I highly reccomend Eraser or an IPA mixture. I personaly am mixing Eraser with my IPA mixture to make it more cost effective but get my cleaning and lulbrication in one.

How is the mix working for you? I thought about doing something along those lines & use before Opti-coat applications but didn't want to risk on a customers car. PM me if you wouldn't mind :xyxthumbs:

PiPUK
05-23-2013, 03:27 AM
IMHO, adding anything other than water (and it needs to be distilled/deionised/demineralised!) defeats the point. The simple fact is that any of these lubes will have either surfactants or silicones which will leave residues. With many waxes and sealants, this is not a big issue but with some of the fancy sealants, I would not like to take the risk.

Eraser basically is just this, it is an IPA/Water blend with some of the primary surfactant used in washing up liquids. It is a small amount and no one has reported issues but I would still be cautious using it with nano/super sealants other than those from Carpro.

sproketser
05-23-2013, 05:07 AM
IMHO, adding anything other than water (and it needs to be distilled/deionised/demineralised!) defeats the point. The simple fact is that any of these lubes will have either surfactants or silicones which will leave residues. With many waxes and sealants, this is not a big issue but with some of the fancy sealants, I would not like to take the risk.

Eraser basically is just this, it is an IPA/Water blend with some of the primary surfactant used in washing up liquids. It is a small amount and no one has reported issues but I would still be cautious using it with nano/super sealants other than those from Carpro.

Thanx for clarifications mate .

TroyScherer
05-23-2013, 05:45 AM
How is the mix working for you? I thought about doing something along those lines & use before Opti-coat applications but didn't want to risk on a customers car. PM me if you wouldn't mind :xyxthumbs:

It is working well.

Eraser on its own works great and like Mr Megane noted above is basically the same as our normal IPA mixture with something to minimize the grabbiness.

So I basically mix up my standard IPA mixture and then mix it 50/50 with Erasure. That give me the Eraser slickness I want and the make it much more cost effective for me.

But I will add this. There are times when I will only use Eraser straight for certain things. Coating to me in one of those areas. I don't want to risk not having the surface completely clean and clear for the sake of a couple of bucks.

My personal quote:

You think it's expensive to do it right the first time; wait till you have to go back and fix it because you decided to try and cut corners...

OCD
05-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys for all the input. Some good info and my main question I was about to ask this morning was answered......

The simple fact is that any of these lubes will have either surfactants or silicones which will leave residues.

I have been eye balling Eraser for a little bit now and it Looks like I am going to invest in some. Much appreciated!

RMM
05-23-2013, 08:33 AM

For instance, Gtechniq advises the use of Accessories // G|Techniq (http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/accessories/panel-wipe/) before some of their "coatings".

OCD
05-23-2013, 09:27 AM
For instance, Gtechniq advises the use of Accessories // G|Techniq (http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/accessories/panel-wipe/) before some of their "coatings".

This is another one I have been looking at. I know they make great products (and I am just asking because I don't know), but is the Panel Wipe really that good or is it marketing? I personally have not used any gtechniq products so idk. Just wondering I guess. Thankya!