PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: Flex Pe14 or Rupes 21

ktchristman33
05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Guys, I know this has probably been discussed and I do realize that these are two totally different animals but I need some educated, experienced advice before I take the plunge.

As I stated before, I know that i'm comparing apples to oranges since the actions of these buffers are different. I like the idea of having the extra correcting power of the rotary along with the light weight of this model; but as my detailing skills enhance I really like the notion of the safety of dual action polishers. I know how to run a rotary, but I am looking for that show car finish every time.

With all this being said, I work for a boat marina so I would like a buffer that has at least (some) correcting power on gel coats, this correcting power could be considered the finishing work since we also have a old-school heavy rotary that can do the grunt work.

My question for all you veteran detailers is, between the two buffers mentioned, what is my best option for car, marine, and extensive aluminum polishing? Thanks in advance for any advice, it is greatly appreciated!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Have you thought about the 3401?

Rsurfer
05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
DeWalt and a wool pad for heavy polishing.

Rsurfer
05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Have you thought about the 3401?
Have you tried polishing bad gelcoat with a 3401?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Have you tried polishing bad gelcoat with a 3401?

Sure havent. Just mentioning it because of its abilities in forced rotation DA.

rmagnus
05-22-2013, 05:02 PM
My question for all you veteran detailers is, between the two buffers mentioned, what is my best option for car, marine, and extensive aluminum polishing? Thanks in advance for any advice, it is greatly appreciated!

I wish it worked this way .... One tool for everything. I'm going to suggest a flex 3401 and a PE14. If cost is an issue and because you already have a rotary just get the 3401. Many have used the 3401 for boat work and it's awesome for cars. It's direct drive similar to a rotary. for auro detailing I think you always want to have a DA. Boat & aluminum you'll want a rotary.

The Rupes is at the top of the list foe straight DAs but lacks the power needed for boat work. Some say even with the washer modification on curved panels it's borderline. That's not meant to be a dig because all tools have pros/cons. Rupes is a quality buffer.

IMO the 3401 & PE14 are best in class for the work you are looking to do it would be perfect. If I were to make a compromise I'd drop the PE14 and opt for a Dewalt but still get the 3401.

Rsurfer
05-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Sure havent. Just mentioning it because of its abilities in forced rotation DA.
A 3401 with forced rotation is not enough to correct bad gel coat. You need a high speed rotary with a wool pad. Don't get me wrong, it can do the job if you have day's to spend. Even a Rupes with a 21mm throw may have a hard time with bad gel coat.

hernandez.art13
05-22-2013, 07:00 PM
A PC and a Dewalt can do the jobs. Might even save you some money. (Don't know the exact pricing)

hernandez.art13
05-22-2013, 07:14 PM
A PC and a Dewalt can do the jobs. Might even save you some money. (Don't know the exact pricing)

Sorry I thought this was the other thread lol.

I think IMO if you can handle a rotary then a DA should be a lot easier to handle. (It was for me)

I'm not sure what your steps are but why not combine 2 machines, into your Detailing arsenal?

Not sure if the PC could handle boats, but if it can't a Rotary and a Flex should work great.

SonOfOC
05-22-2013, 07:47 PM
With all this being said, I work for a boat marina so I would like a buffer that has at least (some) correcting power on gel coats, this correcting power could be considered the finishing work since we also have a old-school heavy rotary that can do the grunt work. !

With the requirements above, the answer is a rotary with lots of wool pad. Anything else on gel coat + boat size is like using a spoon to dig a trench.

Sunshyne
05-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Gel Coat = Dewalt 849 and a wool pad

ktchristman33
05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Sorry guys, I need to clarify. This buffer is for more of the finess work, not the grunt work. I have a heavy duty snap on rotary that can do the heavy gel coats.
Thanks for all of the replies! Your advice won't go to waste.

RaskyR1
05-23-2013, 11:45 AM
For doing boats I would just stick with a rotary, and I also wouldn't get the PE14 either, get the Makita or Dewalt. I love my PE14 to death, but it's best suited for smaller pads and finishing jobs. With boats, even though you said it will be for finishing, you will probably be using larger pad and the PE14 will get hot pretty fast. You need a work horse! :props:

The Rupes wouldn't be bad though, and I actually recall seeing someone post on FB a MASSIVE, I mean MASSIVE yacht that they did with a team of guys and Rupes LHR21's! He loved them!

Hopefully this person doesn't mind me sharing this. :)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/null-4.png

Durallymax
05-23-2013, 12:49 PM
I would 2nd the DeWalt or Makita over the Flex. I like to keep my DeWalt away from paint as I do not want it to contaminate the paint due to it being my go to metal compounding and polishing, but on some of the recent heavily oxidized tractors and such the Flex is simply getting its but kicked. Its nice to use, but a wool pad and FG400 are giving it a workout.

Then again if you already have your main compounding machine and want a tool to finish up swirl free the 3401 is a good machine.