PDA

View Full Version : A slightly stinky interior question

FlawlessMustang
05-22-2013, 03:41 PM
I searched for best interior cleaner but didn't find results to address my concern. I have a 2012 Mustang that I bought brand new about a year and a half ago. I've noticed that when I get in it sometimes, it just stinks. I've never spilled anything in it and I don't keep dirty clothes or anything like that in it. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good product to clean it with that should get rid of the stink? I have black interior so stains are not a problem just the smell. I never keep those scent cans or anything of that nature in it either. I occasionally sprayed the Chemical Guys Stripper Scent in it, but I ran out of it last summer and am purchasing some more as I type this :) Technically after I type this lol. I want to actually eliminate the smell not cover it up.

Edit: It is a cloth interior.

Thanks!!!

thebamboo23
05-22-2013, 03:52 PM
What type of interior? Leather?

Best bet is to do a deep interior cleaning from top to bottom

greg_in_ga
05-22-2013, 04:00 PM
You may want to check and/or replace the cabin air filter, if your car has one

Dr_Pain
05-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Is your A/C evaporator draining properly? You may be dealing with condensation and mold. Is the stink generated when you turn the A/C on or when the car sits for a while. If not A/C then I agree to deep clean. Dirt in the carpet pile STINKS!

jjj
05-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Something you can try if you don't have time to deep clean, just to see if it works is cg so fast odor eliminator. It hits at the bacteria that cause bad odors. I have good success with it when time is short. Smells kinda like apple, but goes away and fresh smell is left.

FlawlessMustang
05-22-2013, 04:25 PM
It doesn't happen when I use my a/c or heater. Some mornings or afternoons when I open the door and sit in it, I can smell it. It's not every day. I know on some warmer days, it smells bad. I haven't cleaned my floor mats so I should definitely try that. I have cloth floor mats that came with the car. It seems pretty obvious that I should clean those now lol. Do any of you know of a good product to use?

I'll look into that cg odor eliminator. Thanks for the advice so far everyone!

szjalo
05-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Op has exactly the same problem I had. I did a complete interior shampoo but the smell is still there. The only thing I can possibly imagine will be a full A/C flush. easiest way to do is to circulate the air on high setting, then spray bacteria killer at the opening area of the fans (passenger side, under glove box). a more thorough flush requires delicate chemicals and spray methods.

4AudiQ
05-22-2013, 05:50 PM
My brother sells a product called Odor-Con that will eliminate the odors once you find them and spray it directly on them. I used that same product to eliminate the foul odors in the county morgue in Portland, OR back in the 1970's, I sprayed all the walls, floors, ceilings, and even the tables that carried the bodies. When I got done with all the spraying, the smell was gone.
Here is his website: 3R ODOR-CON / PUROGENE SALES (http://3rodorcon.com/)
My Dad did the same thing in the 1960's when he got a Corvette from the desert where a man had shot himself. It was several days before someone found him. My Dad had to strip the entire interior, including the seats and sprayed everything in the interior and the seats, with them turned inside out.
The product is Chlorine Dioxide and it works on all organic matter as long as it touches where the smell is from. By the way, CLO2 can be drunk without harmful side effects, other than a very salty taste.

thebamboo23
05-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Nice advertisement lol

JAF06SE
05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
You mentioned you used the stripper scent. Is your smell fishy at all? You know how those strippers can be.....

jjj
05-22-2013, 06:36 PM
You mentioned you used the stripper scent. Is your smell fishy at all? You know how those strippers can be.....

Roflmao!!!!!!

TCFatboy
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Go deep on the interior. Steam clean the Ceiling. door panels, Dashboard. insert the tip of the steam gun into the A/C.

Seatbelt too, then shampoo the seatīs & Carpet This will help you a lot.
And if not. then you might have a problem under-your carpet. Somebody might spill something before never clean it the right way.

Before you shampoo the carpet. a good odor killer for sure. mix some Baking soda in a spray bottle, Pre-spray the area before any Apc. let it work for a few minutes. this will really help you!!!

neat e34
05-23-2013, 04:20 AM
First thing I would look at is cabin filter.
Owning from new you probably have the car serviced at the dealership due to warranty? If so a simple phone call & they should be able to tell you if/when it has been changed.
If it hasn't or it's been a while that could be all it is.
These things (obviously) filter all air that enters the cabin & absorb any odours (as well as dust, etc) so that they do not reach the driver.
Therefore over time they can stink & also become less effective in other ways.

If that's not the problem I would look at floor mats, carpet, seats.
In that order if you want to isolate the problem.
Has there been any water in the car at all?
Like, even jumping into the seat when your clothing is wet?