PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here used a microfiber polishing pad?

1vh1
05-22-2013, 10:39 AM
I saw these for sale on the Chemical Guys website, but I think other companies sell them too. They are DA polishing pads with a microfiber cutting/polishing area.

Has anyone tried them out? I am afraid they would cause marring if even a touch of dirt got on the paint before I started polishing.

Evan.J
05-22-2013, 10:46 AM
MF pads are great tools to have in your bag of tricks. I just got a bunch of Buff and Shine MF pads (I think thats what the CG are) but havent tried them out out. They are more thick and soft then the Megs ones.

I have used the Megs and boy the correction power they offer are great and help finish down prduct well.

It all depends on the type of paint you going to be working on. I have hand great success with the MF pads as have many other here.

zmcgovern45
05-22-2013, 11:22 AM
MF cutting pads are some of the most popular pads you will find among professionals and amateurs. They are great.

I personally have never used MF polishing pads, as I feel foam will finish down better.

Durallymax
05-22-2013, 11:28 AM
My limited experience with them has not been very good. I have been trying the Lake Country style. Only used the DA ones on my 3401 once and honestly I did not have enough experience with other pad types to really compare.

I have tried the rotary style on my PE14 Flex a couple of different times. Those times were all on single stage type paints of various styles (powder, gel, etc,) I tried with both FG400 and PG1000. All of the times I tried them, they cut fast, but for whatever reason they bite way too hard and make the machine uncontrollable. Unlike a wool pad or foam pad, they seem to "grab" the paint and walk the machine in every direction even with no pressure on a vertical panel. When you attempt to control this, it takes some strong arms and a little bit of downpressure, however once I have gotten it under control it will stall out the Flex. I was running the Flex between 1000-1200RPM or so. I would only ever do one section on each of the 3 vehicles I tried it on as they just were not working.

I think maybe they are a good choice for a more agressive pad for the DA machines, but I'll stick with Wool for heavy cutting on the RB.

It could be the LC brand pads too. It sounds like a lot of people have had good luck with the Megs and Surbuf pads. Maybe some day I will try those, but for right now I've got plenty of others to get some experience with and formulate my opinion on.

tnxm42
05-22-2013, 11:28 AM
MF pads are my go to now, use them twice and was sold. I still do finish with a foam pad

Evan.J
05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
My limited experience with them has not been very good. I have been trying the Lake Country style. Only used the DA ones on my 3401 once and honestly I did not have enough experience with other pad types to really compare.

I have tried the rotary style on my PE14 Flex a couple of different times. Those times were all on single stage type paints of various styles (powder, gel, etc,) I tried with both FG400 and PG1000. All of the times I tried them, they cut fast, but for whatever reason they bite way too hard and make the machine uncontrollable. Unlike a wool pad or foam pad, they seem to "grab" the paint and walk the machine in every direction even with no pressure on a vertical panel. When you attempt to control this, it takes some strong arms and a little bit of downpressure, however once I have gotten it under control it will stall out the Flex. I was running the Flex between 1000-1200RPM or so. I would only ever do one section on each of the 3 vehicles I tried it on as they just were not working.

I think maybe they are a good choice for a more agressive pad for the DA machines, but I'll stick with Wool for heavy cutting on the RB.

It could be the LC brand pads too. It sounds like a lot of people have had good luck with the Megs and Surbuf pads. Maybe some day I will try those, but for right now I've got plenty of others to get some experience with and formulate my opinion on.

Vinny I have heard that the flex and MF pads arent the best combo when it comes to the flex. I have heard there is too much tendendcy to cause the flex to start walking on the paint.

Now I have head that the Buff and Shine pads are great for the flex. I wil find out tomrrow as I play to test out the flex with those pads.

Durallymax
05-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Vinny I have heard that the flex and MF pads arent the best combo when it comes to the flex. I have heard there is too much tendendcy to cause the flex to start walking on the paint.

Now I have head that the Buff and Shine pads are great for the flex. I wil find out tomrrow as I play to test out the flex with those pads.

I am assuming you are referring to the 3401? I noticed more walking with the MF pads on that machine as well. My worst experiences were with the PE14 rotary though.

Evan.J
05-22-2013, 11:46 AM
I am assuming you are referring to the 3401? I noticed more walking with the MF pads on that machine as well. My worst experiences were with the PE14 rotary though.

Yes 3401. I should have specified :xyxthumbs:

Pureshine
05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
MF pads where not meant for rotary use really they where designed for DA.

silverfox
05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
That's all I use working with HARD paints; still use foam to finish down on soft paint.