PDA

View Full Version : If You're like Me...

jbone
05-22-2013, 10:25 AM
DISCLAIMER: I'm a little odd.

I've been observing this site for years, posting for a short time, and have been developing my detailing skills S-L-OW-W-W-W-L-Y. The bombshell is that I still work by hand, but have told myself "This is the year I'm going to get a da".

If you are like me (I pray for your sake that you are not) you enjoy research, perfection, and the security that comes from feeling like you know what you are doing. That is my sticking point. The more I research the less I feel I really know. Also, I don't feel like I have ever done a perfect job, therefore I don't feel like I know much at all.

Just wondering if anyone else went through this. Also, are there any Detailing Self Help Books, because clearly I'm not the only one with "issues" here. ;)

this site is top tier!
all the best
jb

runrun411
05-22-2013, 10:37 AM
I the case of this, experience is the best teacher. Start off with an old beater car and then work your way toward your nicer cars.

swanicyouth
05-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Practices makes perfect. I'm assume your talking about correcting paint? You want to talk about SLOW, it took me 7 years to learn how to use a DA to remove defects and polish paint until its "perfect" (in my eyes).

I would buy stuff, learn a little (not enough) and go for it. I never got show car results, so I got frustrated and would put it away for a few years. Then I bought a black car and said, if it can be done - I will learn it. Then came the addiction.

c8n
05-22-2013, 11:19 AM
I think there will always be a learning curve no matter how experienced you are as new products are always being introduced with new methods and techniques.

I think the modern detailer will cringe at what was a popular method and technique used by detailers of the past.

Altho I do like to research and have some knowledge or foundation before I start, I am more of a hands on guy... or I just don't have the patience to solidify everything before I take a shot.

My point is that as long as you understand the basic concept and have the correct foundation in place, with some common sense, it's difficult to mess things up so bad that you cannot correct it.

VP Mark
05-22-2013, 01:16 PM
I respect your need to be cautious but on the other hand you almost have to have harmful intent to hurt anything with a Da polisher. Call me crazy but I started out on a rotary and when I finally got a da I literally took it out of the box threw a cutting pad on it and went to town.

Be cautious, but with polishers you need only be almost paranoid when it comes to rotary use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

jbone
05-22-2013, 08:22 PM
thanks guys.
enough talk on my end.
jb