PDA

View Full Version : Need some AGO guidance! (1st order soon and some questions)

nsx-r
05-22-2013, 12:13 AM
I know there have been a few first order threads so sorry if this gets repetitive to you senior members! I'm pretty new to machine polishing and would like some guidance/recommendations on some products and things I will need for the job.

Background: I have only ever own 2-dr sports vehicles, and I usually hand wash my car using the 2 bucket method, afterwards I would dry the car with a ton of microfiber clothes (Pepboys, autozone, etc.) and then hand apply a wax over the car.

After reading/reviewing some of the work you members do here I have decided to step up my game and step into the door to machine polishing.

My budget for splurging (this site will not be good for my wallet lol) for items, polisher included will be roughly $1500 USD. I have no background with machine polishing and would consider myself an apt learner.

My choices for machine polishers I have narrowed down to the Flex 3401 and the Rupes 15. The items I have in my cart are the following (not including the polishers):

1. Pinnacle complete detailing bag kit

2. Guzzler combo kit

3. Woobie Microfiber Towel, 6-pk

4. Grit-guard dual bucket washing system - Red (do any of you have fitment problems with red grit guard buckets with the grit-guards fitting at the bottom?)

5. Grit-guard universal pad washer

6. Dodo Juice Diamond White wax

7. Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

8. Pinnacle XMT #1

I currently DD a White '06 Civic SI, though I frequently wash the car, I don't think it has any serious imperfections other than some minor scratches and very very few swirls.

Also, what buffing pads would you guys recommend?

Thanks a bunch for the help AGO!

dorkiedoode
05-22-2013, 12:50 AM
first, are you doing it for yourself of are you doing this as a future business? i have a civic for DD and our paint is soft and really easy to work with. to tackle our paint you probably don't even need to spend more than 300 to get it newer than dealer new.

Chase.Barnett
05-22-2013, 12:55 AM
I bought my first order last year when I wanted to do a correction on my 10' si. I bought a 7424 and pads. Wolfgang swirl remover and glaze (love both of them) and deep gloss paint sealant (good, but I don't get any longer protection out of it than I do caranuba). Optimum has a nice and very slick car wash that I love to use. A bucket and grit guard is a must have. XMT 360 is probably my favorite go-to for well maintained finishes that need a little touching up. Optimum waterless wash is a great product that can be used as a wash, detail spray or clay lube depending on how you dilute it. I'll post a link in the morning to a thread where Mike Phillips personally helped me piece together my first order.

WG DGPS is nice, but save your money and get a Megs Sealant (#21 i think?) and top it with a coat or two of #26.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AG Online

nsx-r
05-22-2013, 01:19 AM
first, are you doing it for yourself of are you doing this as a future business? i have a civic for DD and our paint is soft and really easy to work with. to tackle our paint you probably don't even need to spend more than 300 to get it newer than dealer new.

For myself and some friends who would like their car polished as well. I enjoy taking care of my car as well, so I guess you could say this will be a long-term hobby :xyxthumbs:

I bought my first order last year when I wanted to do a correction on my 10' si. I bought a 7424 and pads. Wolfgang swirl remover and glaze (love both of them) and deep gloss paint sealant (good, but I don't get any longer protection out of it than I do caranuba). Optimum has a nice and very slick car wash that I love to use. A bucket and grit guard is a must have. XMT 360 is probably my favorite go-to for well maintained finishes that need a little touching up. Optimum waterless wash is a great product that can be used as a wash, detail spray or clay lube depending on how you dilute it. I'll post a link in the morning to a thread where Mike Phillips personally helped me piece together my first order.

WG DGPS is nice, but save your money and get a Megs Sealant (#21 i think?) and top it with a coat or two of #26.

Thanks for the recommendation! As far as the buckets go, have you had any fitment issues with the grit guard and the red buckets they have on AGO? I've read previous threads where some people have had to cut the grit guard, and I would prefer not to do that.

Chase.Barnett
05-22-2013, 01:29 AM
For myself and some friends who would like their car polished as well. I enjoy taking care of my car as well, so I guess you could say this will be a long-term hobby :xyxthumbs:

Thanks for the recommendation! As far as the buckets go, have you had any fitment issues with the grit guard and the red buckets they have on AGO? I've read previous threads where some people have had to cut the grit guard, and I would prefer not to do that.

I bought a white bucket with the guard. No figment issue for me but it does get a little snug in the bucket after use.

nsx-r
05-22-2013, 01:57 PM
If I go with the Rupes, would you guys recommend using their pads with Pinnacle XMT #1? Or would it be more ideal to get say LC CCS pink/white pads and use the XMT to level off the light scratches and finish up with a polishing pad?

If I go with the Flex, I'd assume the LC CCS pads would be fine.

Evan.J
05-22-2013, 02:32 PM
If I go with the Rupes, would you guys recommend using their pads with Pinnacle XMT #1? Or would it be more ideal to get say LC CCS pink/white pads and use the XMT to level off the light scratches and finish up with a polishing pad?

If I go with the Flex, I'd assume the LC CCS pads would be fine.

I haven't seen much in the way of other pads for the Rupes. The yellow pad worked well for me and I have seen the MF pads are great for the Rupes.

The flex best combo would be the 5.5 hybrid pads!

Chase.Barnett
05-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Here's the thread where Mike gave me some advice.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/52134-hey-mike-over-here.html

As for my first order, here is everything I picked up.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52291-finally-1st-order-placed.html

WGDGPS is great, but you can get a cheaper product and still get excellent results. It's all in your prep work! Megs #21 I hear is a great product. I'm fond of #26 for my Wax and Poorboys Natty's Red is a great paste. There really are a ton of great products out there, I just have a hard time justifying anything more than 25 or 30 bucks for a wax. I'd go with #21, let it cure, then top with a coat of 26 or a good paste wax, but that's just my preference.

The rupes looks great, but maybe a little too proprietary? Looking back, I wish I would of spent the extra money and bought the 3401 just for the extra power.