PDA

View Full Version : Equipment to start?

jwilson534
05-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Ok, I have been at this forever it seems but here is a list of things I have put together to order. This is just the equipment. If you see anything I need or don't need please let me know. Thanks!

1. Mytee lite 8070 extractor

2. Flex 3401 DA HD changeable backing plate kit

3. WG Tornador

4. Foam Canon(not sure of brand yet)

5. 5" Hybrid foam pads (5 of each)

6. 6.5" foamed wool polish/buff pads (6 pack)

7. Shine & Buff waterless wash towels (6)

8. 8" Boars hair wheel brush

9. 10" Boars hair car wash brush

10. Daytona speed master wheel brush

11. Lug nut brush

12. 1" detailing brushes

13. Grit guard

T3 AutoDetails
05-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Take the extractor off and go with a steamer, Much more versatile and once you learn to use it you will find you don't use an extractor that much.

Maybe a raceglaze brush set good for those hard to get areas and hard to beat a decent set of 5 brushes for 30 bucks.

Switch out number 8 with mothers wheel/wheel well/tire brush

What kind of Vac are you using and what do you already have?

jwilson534
05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Im looking at the pf51 wet/dry vac...has a 100" waterlift. ok got the mothers wheel and wheel well brush kit...comes with 3 brushes

T3 AutoDetails
05-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Ok, I would say you pretty much got a handle on it. Do a search on steamers vs extractors though and you will be amazed at how much more versatile it is in today's detailing technology. Maybe google some of the other items I mentioned above as AG doesn't stock them.

Something I also forgot to mention was Sams club Proforce towels. 24 for like 12 bucks. I went and got a couple packs last night and used them today for interior and general cleaning of my own ride and was taken back. You cant get better quality for .50 a towel plain and simple. And for just starting out it would be worth it to grab 2-4 packs of different colors. They do have a 60 count pack but they appear to be different and only in white (in my local sams club) so not sure on those ones.

With whatever vac you get make sure you get the crevice tool. It will work wonders later down the road. I own a Ridgid from HD and bought the crevice tool and claw from the start and I use them both almost daily. The attachments that come with most vacs are just useless it seems so going out and getting a crevice tool/ Claw is almost needed to speed up interior time.

jwilson534
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I looked at steamers but I have to watch more vids. I will look for the brushes set also. I was going to look around for towels to wipe down and stuff but you just made that easy for me...lol..I figured the 6 towels above would be good for drying after a wash as well as applying anything.

NewNickel
05-21-2013, 09:50 PM
1. Latest model Wagner Steamer & Extra Brush Set and Renny Doyles Steam Cleaner DVD
2. Flex 3401 DA HD changeable backing plate kit
3. See #1
4. Beer with money saved not buying foam cannon
5. 5" Hybrid foam pads (5 of each)
6. 6.5" foamed wool polish/buff pads (6 pack)
7. Bigass $15 Bag of Microfibers from local big box
7.5 Cotton Terry Towels for Jambs and crappy carpet work
8. Daytona Speed Brushes (large and small)
9. 10" Boars hair car wash brush (or a plastic one and save the money to eat at the Chinese Place - See #11)
10. Daytona speed master wheel brush
11. Chop Sticks from local Chinese Restaurant
12. See#11
13. Grit guard (Two of them!)
14. Megs 105 and 205 for DA
14.5 Collinite 845
15. Glass Master Pro (don't get the cheaper one from Stonner - the foam will peel)
15.5 Invisible Glass or Sprayway
16. Ridgid or ShopVac 5-6.5hp Wet/Dry Vac + Pro Hose ($35)
17. Werner Step Platform
18. Plastic 143210 Service Cart from Northern
19. 3 - Quickie Microfiber drying towels (Blue Big Box Hardware)
20. Gallon of Folex
21. Optimum Leather Protectant

jwilson534
05-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Well I have a big list of product also...this was just equipment. I plan on getting some cheaper microfiber towels for cleaning but I want the shine and buff for good drying...I like a towel I can hold on to and feel like im getting the job done. And yes with a steamer I wont need a tornador.

Vegas Transplant
05-22-2013, 02:07 AM
9. & 11. out of the picture.

jwilson534
05-22-2013, 02:35 AM
yeah I dropped the boars hair car wash brush...I think I can wash it with a $10 mitt instead of a $70 brush...I have a strong brush. And no on the lug nut brush huh? ive just seen people posting about having trouble cleaning around the lug nuts and replies were to get one.

BradsDetailing
05-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Id keep 11. I haven't used one personally yet but I don't know how else I would clean in some tight areas so it's coming in one of my next orders. I just used the mother's wheel brushes and like them, especially for the price. I do not like the tire brush on slimmer car tires. It's shaped to be used so when your brushing the handle is parallel with the tire so you have to use it on tires as wide as the brush. The only tires that are that wide are truck tires. I'd use it on car tires but I feel it may damage the rims a little bit so I'm looking at getting a smaller tire brush.

jwilson534
05-22-2013, 02:47 AM
ok, thanks! maybe I can find a little cheaper brush for the tires.

Rival
05-22-2013, 09:16 AM
more hybrid pads

BradsDetailing
05-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Here's the one I'm looking at getting:

TUF SHINE Tire Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-tire-brush.html)

Hazcat
06-05-2013, 12:10 AM
A tire brush is fine and one to go back into the wheel well. You already have the speed master brushes for the the barrel of the wheel and a boars hair brush is best for lug nuts. Don't purchase the currand lug nut brush...it's junk and the t handle lug nut brush with foam only fits a few types. Stick the boars hair lug brush. The woolie brushes look okay but I haven't tried them. Better wait for someone else to weigh in on them.