PDA

View Full Version : What cars have super hard clearcoat?

JBs
05-27-2007, 02:03 PM
so the other day i tried working on my old 5 series (bmw) and it took a couple passes w/ xmt 4 and orange pad to get SOME of the swirls out.

i just went over the hood of my mom's gx470 (lexus) w/ xmt 3 and orange pad and it got out all the swirls and the paint was shiney reflextive etc.

what?! :confused:

what other companies give a hard clearcoat and how do you correct them?

Truls
05-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Audi and Mercedes that i know of.

Menzerna (newbie on AG) got some polishes for hard CK

Some CKs can be hard correcting with a PC, some requiar a Rotary to get the job done

supercharged
05-27-2007, 03:47 PM
so the other day i tried working on my old 5 series (bmw) and it took a couple passes w/ xmt 4 and orange pad to get SOME of the swirls out.

i just went over the hood of my mom's gx470 (lexus) w/ xmt 3 and orange pad and it got out all the swirls and the paint was shiney reflextive etc.

what?! :confused:

what other companies give a hard clearcoat and how do you correct them?
Ceramiclear coat is being used by Mercedes Benz only as far as I know. Not sure when others will start using it. BMW has a very hard clearcoat, but not as hard as new Mercedes Benz.
Toyota/Lexus have a very soft clear, and some colors, like black they don't even have a clearcoat, even on new cars.

ScottB
05-28-2007, 12:44 AM
Mercedes and Maybach are/where the exclusive user of the ceramiclear polishes. Several manufacturers, like GM, as said to have hard clearcoats in general. Usually means they apply more than one coat or thicker than others. I had a Nissan that would chip if you sneezed on it !

JBs
05-28-2007, 01:24 AM
i would have thought that after 2 applications of xmt i would have no clear left, but it had barely scratched the surface!

ltoman
05-28-2007, 01:41 AM
my vette. it's evil!

Surfer
05-28-2007, 09:33 AM
One of our Ford trucks and Lincoln have rock hard clears.

Grimm
05-29-2007, 06:37 AM
My Bonneville does.