PDA

View Full Version : Working on bottom edges of the vehicle

mfergel
05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Does anyone have tips for working along the lower sides of the vehicle? Polishing along the bottom and getting equal pressure/etc seems to be a bit of a pain. I was thinking of placing a couple of 2x8's in a ramp like configuration under the tires on one side and driving up on to them and working one side at a time like that. Not sure if that's recommended though.

dooyaunastan
05-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Jack & jack stands

Mike Phillips
05-21-2013, 12:03 PM
A lift is the best way, that is raise the car up to you.

If you don't have a lift and it's not an option for your business then you have to lower yourself to the car, which means sitting on the ground or some type of roll-around-chair.

:)

mfergel
05-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Yeah, just my personal car/detailing so no lift (unfortunately no garage either). Might have to at least look into a roller chair. Right now I'm using an inverted bucket, which sits a bit high and unfortunately, is also stationary.

Fation
05-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Rhino ramps also work. About $45 at autozone. They're good for the job and you can just drive the car on to them.

mfergel
05-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Rhino ramps also work. About $45 at autozone. They're good for the job and you can just drive the car on to them.

I'll need to do some measuring/etc. As it is now, I do have a set of ramps but I lowered my car and even to use those I need to drive onto a board first in order to avoid the front bumper from hitting the ramp. My current ones also have an edge and aren't quite as wide as my tires so it doesn't sit on the ramp properly.

MarkD51
05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Yeah, just my personal car/detailing so no lift (unfortunately no garage either). Might have to at least look into a roller chair. Right now I'm using an inverted bucket, which sits a bit high and unfortunately, is also stationary.

The detailing chairs with little receptacles, provision for bucket, etc sold here look really sweet.

I recently opted to browse around thrift stores in the area, and found a 5 caster office chair with no armrests, and a detachable backrest. Has the hydraulic adjustment for height, and while it's not the perfect answer, it only set me back $5, and does give some comfort when working on the sides.

Getting real down and dirty on the lowest extremities of the vehicle, without lifts, or ramps, have a couple pieces of scrap carpet on hand. Commercial office carpeting with a foam backing is virtually waterproof, the water won't seep through so easily, and get you wet.
Just some low dollar ideas, hope they help.
Mark

isfpower
05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
i made this ramp my car and all my friends car whos literally 3-4 inches off the ground. works great

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8684131081_3604a9ca9f_c.jpg

mfergel
05-21-2013, 02:42 PM
i made this ramp my car and all my friends car whos literally 3-4 inches off the ground. works great

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8120/8684131081_3604a9ca9f_c.jpg

Yeah, I'm not quite that low but I have to drive up onto boards just to get my floor jack under the car.