PDA

View Full Version : How many of the Meg's MF pads should I have to do my Mustang?

Spiney
05-21-2013, 12:50 AM
I want to take advantage of the free shipping. I have a 96 Cobra, black. Paint is in pretty good shape but has swirls, a few rids, and some water spots. No deep scratches. I bought the Meg's DA MF system last year along with a Griots 6" DA. The kit came with 2 each of the correction and finishing pads. How many should I have to properly correct my paint? Thanks, Dave

Pureshine
05-21-2013, 01:46 AM
1 maybe 2 but MF pads do have a flaw they do separate a part sometimes so its always good to have back ups.

cardaddy
05-21-2013, 11:23 AM
:iagree: You can do most cars with only 2 MF pads. The *KEY* is air, lots and LOTS of air!
Don't think, "Oh I'll do this panel and then clean the pad", clean with compressed air after each section pass. NOT after several section passes. Maybe a light cleaning after each pass, then a thorough cleaning after the section is completed.

The biggest enemy is heat (although that's the biggest enemy in any buffing pad). Keep an eye on heat buildup in the center of the pad, on the BACK of the pad. You may want to say do only a single panel then swap to another pad, swapping back and forth after each panel completion.

Mastercraft241
05-21-2013, 01:08 PM
:iagree: You can do most cars with only 2 MF pads. The *KEY* is air, lots and LOTS of air!
Don't think, "Oh I'll do this panel and then clean the pad", clean with compressed air after each section pass. NOT after several section passes. Maybe a light cleaning after each pass, then a thorough cleaning after the section is completed.

The biggest enemy is heat (although that's the biggest enemy in any buffing pad). Keep an eye on heat buildup in the center of the pad, on the BACK of the pad. You may want to say do only a single panel then swap to another pad, swapping back and forth after each panel completion.
I will defiently second this. And as pureshine has mentioned consistently you have to clean the pads after each area with either compressed air or a pad brush. Using a rag will not work. Trust me I have gone through this and it is frustrating. Do not buy a MF pad unless you have compressed air, or purchase the meguirs pad brush with it.

Soundwave
05-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Would a pad washer work for this as well? or would air be the way to go?

Mastercraft241
05-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Im just saying what happened to me.... I tried to wash the pad in the megiuars pad washer with DP reconditioner.... at least with fg400 it did not react well with the pad being damp. What a nightmare:buffing:

dad07
05-21-2013, 04:52 PM

I totaly aggree with this........compressed air is a must! and its your best friend with any Mf pad.

Pureshine
05-21-2013, 05:29 PM

No! air or a pad brush:)

cardaddy
05-21-2013, 10:51 PM
No! air or a pad brush:)
:iagree:WITH :whs:

You DO NOT want to get the MF pads wet! Dry and clean is what they like.

D.C.Detail
05-21-2013, 11:23 PM
I just recently did a Trailblazer and got away with only using 1 MF pad, i cleaned it after each section pass using the on the fly method that Mike always talked about, it seemed to work great with a terry cloth and i could def see residue on the cloth when i did it. The Trailblazer came out amazing and no real hazyness to it at all. so i guess as long as you clean the heck out of the pad after each pass and you dont have any problems as far as seperation, you could get by with one....although two would always be better, i however just recieved my MF pads and i was testing them out so thats why i only had one

Eric