PDA

View Full Version : So I had to apply wax with a white lc pad the other day and it got me thinking!

ShineTimeDetail
05-20-2013, 10:04 PM
So the other day I was on a Mobile job and forgot a wax pad at the shop. I used a new white lc pad instead. Well when I was done the paint was real slick and very shiny. I used wolfgang 3.0. I also did 2 passes on each panel. The car hadn't been clayed in years either.

Could a polishing pad actually be a plus on a car just getting a wax or sealant?

SonOfOC
05-20-2013, 10:47 PM
On waxes and sealants with no abrasives, I still think a finish pad is more appropriate.

For prewax, glaze, or sealants with correction ability, then a white pad works great. I use a white pad with products like DG501 or CG Blacklight.

ShineTimeDetail
05-20-2013, 11:05 PM
I understand the aio using a polishing pad. I'm not saying I got correction just maybe cleaned the paint a little.

Andr3wilson
05-20-2013, 11:45 PM
Well I don't see why not. Like you won't have defect removal by any means, but I am sure that the pad will be increasing the gloss a little bit, it is fairly firm.

The LSP will be acting as a lubricant for the pad. You may be onto something here! I am going to try this and see!:dblthumb2:

hoyt66
05-21-2013, 04:32 AM
Subscribed

ShineTimeDetail
05-21-2013, 08:34 AM
Well I don't see why not. Like you won't have defect removal by any means, but I am sure that the pad will be increasing the gloss a little bit, it is fairly firm.

The LSP will be acting as a lubricant for the pad. You may be onto something here! I am going to try this and see!:dblthumb2:

Yea, I feel like the pad itself will do minor cleaning....I'm not saying by any means it's going to do anything significant but more than a finishing pad.

FUNX650
05-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Correct me if I'm mistaken...
But doesn't most (if not all) of the LC-White Pads' descriptions say, in so many words:

"for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants.
This pad has very light cutting power so its perfect for pre-wax cleaners".

BTW...
-I've used them to apply waxes/sealants...using the same
techniques as one would with "Wax-pads"...on many occasions.

Yet...
-I never did expect any "correction"/cleaning from them, when used to apply an LSP.

:)

Bob

ShineTimeDetail
05-21-2013, 10:09 AM
I definitely didn't expect correction and never will. I just thought the paint was slicker than expected.

cardaddy
05-21-2013, 11:40 AM
So are you saying you *did not* clay the surface?
And it made it smooth with a 'cleaned' feeling in a manner as if you *did*?

As we all know just how nice a surface feels once it's been clayed/cleaned. As I recently had "the boy" and his buddies wash my Caddy so I could break in my new Nanoskin pad on it. My plan was that I'd go over it, spray some wax on it so it'd keep, then when I got to it I'd do a good polishing front to back. But after just the Nanoskin treatment and some 'charged' DG951 it's so freaking slick I'm not even going to worry about polishing it. :)

I know the white pads say they don't really have any cut, (likely as it refers to correction) when compared to orange and yellow pads. But... I've noticed that they do seem to offer some leveling abilities over the blue and gray/black pads for sure. And maybe something similar to claying, especially with the lubrication of a wax beneath them. :dunno:

jlax2485
05-21-2013, 12:09 PM
WGDGPS is probably the slickest sealant I have ever felt...you could just be getting the placebo effect of the sealant's slickness alone?

y8s
05-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Maybe next time consider the luxurious "hand massage" wax application.

Bunky
05-21-2013, 06:01 PM
"for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants.
This pad has very light cutting power so its perfect for pre-wax cleaners".

AG's description says the above buy Lake Country states clearly it is for polishing.

Lake Country:
Semi-firm, high strength foam for polishing. Available in Natural and European Prepolymer foams

I would stick with softer pads.

94BULLITT
05-21-2013, 06:08 PM
The white pad can used for wax.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AG Online

FUNX650
05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
AG's description says the above buy Lake Country states clearly it is for polishing.

I also got my usage-description of LC white pads from AG...Go Figure.

The white pad can used for wax.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-101/18344d1369177704t-so-i-had-apply-wax-white-lc-pad-other-day-got-me-thinking-uploadfromtaptalk1369177648605.jpg

Thanks for posting this information. :props:

:)

Bob