PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Leak Problems With The Plastic Jugs That Meguiar's Super Degreaser Comes In?

oldmodman
05-20-2013, 07:59 PM
I got two one gallon jugs of Meguiar's Super Degreaser several years ago.
Both jugs have developed leaks.

I noticed a strong smell of it when I opened my storage cabinet about six months ago. The full, unopened jug was leaking and sitting in a small puddle. Since I was almost out of the first jug I just transferred all the contents into the empty jug and didn't really think anymore about it.

Until this past weekend when I smelled it again. Sure enough, the second jug was now leaking.
I had a one gallon glass jug that I was able to transfer the remainder into so I should be OK until it's gone.

Has anyone else had any Meguiar's (or any other brand) leakage or failed bottle problems?

oldmodman
05-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Lots of views.

But no ideas?

neat e34
05-22-2013, 04:08 AM
Have had Megs APC & Super Degreaser for maybe 18 months & no problems so far. But you're saying these are years old so it could happen...
I really hope not as my storage cupboard is inside over floating floorboards & I think either of these products on the floor at full-strength would ruin it!

Have your bottles been exposed to direct sunlight or extreme temps? Are they brittle or still flexible? & where exactly are they leaking from?

oldmodman
05-22-2013, 05:29 PM
No sunlight exposure and no temps higher than 90 degrees.

The plastic cracks are on the bottom and must be very tiny. The leaks are so tiny that I could wipe the shelf and bottom of the jug and it takes a few days before there is a noticeable puddle.
And I could give the containers quite a squeeze and they did not crack.
And I have half a dozen Meguiar's products in that cabinet, all in gallon containers and only the degreaser has developed the leak.

cmichael258
05-22-2013, 07:00 PM
I got two one gallon jugs of Meguiar's Super Degreaser several years ago.
Both jugs have developed leaks.

I noticed a strong smell of it when I opened my storage cabinet about six months ago. The full, unopened jug was leaking and sitting in a small puddle. Since I was almost out of the first jug I just transferred all the contents into the empty jug and didn't really think anymore about it.

Until this past weekend when I smelled it again. Sure enough, the second jug was now leaking.
I had a one gallon glass jug that I was able to transfer the remainder into so I should be OK until it's gone.

Has anyone else had any Meguiar's (or any other brand) leakage or failed bottle problems?

It's an age thing. I turned 66 this year and leaks, puddles and strong smells are a common occurrence.

:rolleyes:

oldmodman
05-23-2013, 11:46 AM
It's an age thing. I turned 66 this year and leaks, puddles and strong smells are a common occurrence.

:rolleyes:

Damn!

I'll be turning 60 this year. I hope that condition doesn't start early:cry:or all my friends might:bolt:

KillaCam
05-23-2013, 02:44 PM
My jug of Meg's regular apc had the same issue. I think it is the jug, not the product. Mine leaked very slowly overtime and somehow I didn't notice it. Prob 1/4 of it leaked out. I put it in an apple juice gallon jug and it's been fine ever since.

piranah
05-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Most apc/degreassers will crack the plastic bottles that it comes in. esp if its been sitting for years .

Sent from my Dell Streak using AG Online

swanicyouth
05-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Just an FYI, I found a dot of Goop fixes pinhole leaks in bottles. It works very well, and you don't have to drain the bottle. Goop is more like a thick gel than a liquid, so it doesn't want to drip off when its drying.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/24/ebu6yqe6.jpg

masterpartha
06-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Wow I had the exact same experience as the OP a few days back. The entire litre of super degreaser had leaked in my cupboard dissolved the paint on the wood and damaged a few pads. And this was just a month old in storage.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/11/yrarejar.jpg

How good are the gallon jars? I thought HDPE bottles are chemical safe?? Also do any other Meguiars products have the same problems? I have hyperwash and apc just to name a few. These are all decanted in Aquafina bottles.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

kimokalihi
06-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Hmm...I have some leakage on top of my toolbox cabinet where there's a line of detailing products (none of which are super degreaser) and I don't know what its from. Didn't investigate yet but I assumed it was from when the cats knocked some stuff over but they're all sealed so maybe I have a leak too. A lot of it has been sitting for 2+ years.