PDA

View Full Version : A few easy to answer questions...(prepping for free shipping order)

JJH
05-20-2013, 03:33 PM
1) I recall seeing a new product that just came out that replaced the clay bar. It was essentially a pad that you put on your dual action buffer. Does anyone know what product I am talking about?

2) What is the best foam cannon available for a standard garden hose without a pressure washer? Can any standard car wash be used with a foam cannon?

3) What is a more forgiving and user friendly product than M105 and M205? I compounded last year but it was messy as heck and the dust sucked to clean up. Looking for something more user friendly that works just as well as the combo.

4) What pad line should I go with for a wide range of applications?

Thanks guys!

af90
05-20-2013, 03:47 PM
1) Look up the Speedy Prep towel.

2) Gilmour makes a good foam gun.

3) M105 is a compound that is much more aggressive, thus dusts more, but both require a learning curve. Make sure to tape up to avoid cleaning up as much.

4) For Pads, look up Microfiber pads or Lake Country Hydrotechs. For Megs I recommend Microfibers, for Menzerna polishes stick with Foam.

Evan.J
05-20-2013, 03:55 PM
1. nano skin auto scrub pad
2. all the foam cannons are made by Gilmour.
3. M101 or FG400
4.???

What is your polisher that you have and what size BP?

JJH
05-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the answers so far guys. It's very hard for a standard detailing "hobbyist" to stay on the cutting edge with all of the new products constantly coming out. I have a Griots Garage 6" random dual action random orbital buffer. I currently have foam pads that I used last year on my 2007 Acura TL type-s Nighthawk Black Pearl (soft Honda paint). After just using my foam pads that I got from Detailers Domain through one full detail on my car, they were worn out. I don't think that they were cut out for the job. I'm looking for a more user friendly product that just doesn't dust as much and a polish that finishes down nicely.

I do believe that the speedy prep towel is the product that I was talking about, thank you.

So is the Gilmour Foam Cannon a good investment for someone who is acclimated to using the standard two bucket wash method? I have a pressure washer as well, so I could get a foam cannon for it instead if it is generally more preferred.

Evan.J
05-20-2013, 04:05 PM
As far as pads the main two recommended have been are the hydrotech pads or the hybrid pads both by LC

Lake Country Hybrid Power Finish Ultra Performance Pad System (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-hybrid-pads.html)
Lake Country Hydo-Tech Foam Pads, hydrotech polishing pads, pads for water-based polishes, buffing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/hydro-tech-foam-pads.html)

I have the foam gun and I use it in conjunction with the 2 bucket method.

JJH
05-20-2013, 04:11 PM
3) M105 is a compound that is much more aggressive, thus dusts more, but both require a learning curve. Make sure to tape up to avoid cleaning up as much.

I think you misread my post, I have experience with the M105 compound I just didn't like how messy it was and the M205 didn't finish down as well as I thought it should have. (Maybe that was my pads fault)

af90
05-20-2013, 04:18 PM
I think you misread my post, I have experience with the M105 compound I just didn't like how messy it was and the M205 didn't finish down as well as I thought it should have. (Maybe that was my pads fault)Yep just saw that, sorry about that. Megs has a bit of a learning curve to it from what I've read, I had some pretty heavy dusting the first time I used 101. I like Menz SF4000 for finishing, has a little cut to it can do minor swirls and scratches,as well as finish with high gloss. Agreed with above, M101/Menz FG400/Optimum Hyper Compound.

If you choose Menzerna I'd choose foam pads over microfiber as it doesn't seem to work well with it.

JJH
05-20-2013, 04:24 PM
Yep just saw that, sorry about that. Megs has a bit of a learning curve to it from what I've read, I had some pretty heavy dusting the first time I used 101. I like Menz SF4000 for finishing, has a little cut to it can do minor swirls and scratches,as well as finish with high gloss. Agreed with above, M101/Menz FG400/Optimum Hyper Compound.

If you choose Menzerna I'd choose foam pads over microfiber as it doesn't seem to work well with it.

Perfect, thank you. Interestingly enough it says that the preferred pad for the Menzerna FG400 is a microfiber pad.

Menzerna FG400 Fast Gloss Compound Review with Photos and Video (http://professionaldetailing.com/menzerna-fg400-fast-gloss-review/)

So the Menzerna SF400 is equivalent to the M205 in terms of its applications, it just finishes down a little bit better?

af90
05-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Just after reading the M105/FG400 comparison done, it just seemed like FG400 matted down the microfiber pad down too much to let it cut. But that could easily be a technique type thing that requires experience with the combo.

As for SF4000 and M205, I'd say M205 has more cut but if being used as a 2-step either would be fine. But that SF4000 would finish down better and has pretty much zero dusting.