PDA

View Full Version : Polishing dust, wipe off or not?

IwasHuman
05-20-2013, 02:28 PM
I tried searching for a bit, and couldn't really find anything to answer my question.

I've only got two polish jobs under my belt so far. What I'm using is the complete Wolfgang line and the PC DA polisher. The thing that's frustrating me is with every step I end up cleaning these little specs. Lets say the swirl remover, as it breaks down it creates this dust. Now I buff away with a microfiber towel and by trying to wipe these little dust specs off I end up smearing them across the paint. This leads to me spending extra time trying to wipe these little streaks off. Same thing happens after the glaze. It seams the little specs will get stuck in the towel, and as I wipe another location it will streak across the paint again.

So my question, should I be concerned with these, or is it okay to just work over them. If I have these tiny streaks after my glaze, am I fine to just apply the sealant over it? Will it just buff out as I go over it with the pad? Or, am I not fully breaking it down if they're still a big enough a spec to leave a mark? It was really frustrating me this last time as I was spending a lot of extra time trying to clean these streaks up. I ended up with good results though.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s485/aaronreynolds0/Phaeton/Cleaning/15Trunkpost-sealant_zps255dbc7e.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/aaronreynolds0/media/Phaeton/Cleaning/15Trunkpost-sealant_zps255dbc7e.jpg.html)

af90
05-20-2013, 02:33 PM
You may be overworking the product causing it to dry out in small dust balls. Have you tried adjusting working times, pressure, product amount?

WRXINXS
05-20-2013, 02:42 PM
You may be overworking the product causing it to dry out in small dust balls. Have you tried adjusting working times, pressure, product amount?

Is that what it means when those dust balls fly out, that you have overworked? It has happened to me a few times using Menz Power Finish.

IwasHuman
05-20-2013, 02:45 PM
I've tried going less, but I don't feel the product breaks. Usually I'm only going about 8-10 machine passes, and not an incredibly slow pace either. I tried taking this down to 6 passes, but I don't feel like I'm getting the job done.

I've done some searching on how to know if you're breaking through the abrasives, and the dust is a normal sign that you're there.

hernandez.art13
05-20-2013, 03:39 PM
After compounding and polishing, I always wash the car. Idk if that the correct method. But I just want the car to be completely clean. I then apply wax.

PedroMalheiro
05-23-2013, 06:42 AM
After compounding and polishing, I always wash the car. Idk if that the correct method. But I just want the car to be completely clean. I then apply wax.

I do the same too

Setec Astronomy
05-23-2013, 06:46 AM
It sounds like you may be using a bit too much product. Does this happen to you only after you've done a few panels? Once the pad is primed or saturated, you don't need to apply as much polish as you do with a clean pad. It's also a good practice to clean spent polish/paint off the pad periodically or switch to a clean pad.

Boudin
05-23-2013, 06:52 AM
I had the same issue with WG Finishing Glaze, but it finishes so beautifully! I just do a wipe down with UWW+ and a plush microfiber afterwards.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

IwasHuman
05-23-2013, 11:39 PM
It sounds like you may be using a bit too much product. Does this happen to you only after you've done a few panels? Once the pad is primed or saturated, you don't need to apply as much polish as you do with a clean pad. It's also a good practice to clean spent polish/paint off the pad periodically or switch to a clean pad.

I was wondering if I might be using too much. It does seem to happen more the longer I'm at it. How often should I be cleaning the pad?

af90
05-23-2013, 11:52 PM
After every panel or so. You can't really clean it too much so don't worry about that.