PDA

View Full Version : OPC dilution ratio for paint cleaning?

HoTsHoT89
05-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi guys, first time poster and one of my first forays into detailing :)

My car is a single-stage solid white, and I've had her for about a year now... she's my testbed for all my works. She's somewhat of a garage queen but she gets some sun every now and then.

So I had some stains at the front bumper, I whipped out OPC 3:1 and started removing the stain for some spot cleaning - after that, the cleaned area became much whiter than the surroundings as in this picture.

http://i.imgur.com/U06mHFQ.jpg

It's quite faint, but you can see it under the black spot (that's due to my camera btw) and another whitened area at its 8 o' clock, all under the curve.

Now this is an obvious sign for paint cleaning... so is it possible to use OPC 3:1 in spray form after a wash to revitalise the paint? Will it be do-able? Or would it be better to mix OPC into a bucket of water and wipe with an MF? I'm open to any other recommendations as well.

HoTsHoT89
05-21-2013, 12:42 AM
No one? :(

Rayaz
05-21-2013, 12:52 AM
I've heard of people using it neat (straight) on paint with no ill effects. I usually don't go beyond 4/5:1 for paint but I'm sure you'd be fine either way. I'm just cheap. Don't forget that OPC is going to strip your wax or sealant so you're going to need to apply some to the bare paint.

I always include some OPC in the wash bucket when I know I'm going to polish or clay just to get the road grease and oil off the paint. Just a splash, no scientific ratio.

Hope this helps.

HoTsHoT89
05-21-2013, 08:25 AM
I've heard of people using it neat (straight) on paint with no ill effects. I usually don't go beyond 4/5:1 for paint but I'm sure you'd be fine either way. I'm just cheap. Don't forget that OPC is going to strip your wax or sealant so you're going to need to apply some to the bare paint.

I always include some OPC in the wash bucket when I know I'm going to polish or clay just to get the road grease and oil off the paint. Just a splash, no scientific ratio.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

I've read from some guys at Optimum saying that a dilution of 5:1 wouldn't even entirely remove sealants/waxes, so a stronger dilution would be needed. But I'm a cheapskate too, which is why I'm looking for the most efficient method, or any experiences other people have tried before.