PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Startup Questions

PatONeill
05-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Hey guys, my name is Pat, and I'm stepping into this wonderful new world of detailing. I have a few questions that would help me with my first trial at detailing my DD.
1. I know I need go clay the car, but my issue is it'll take me a bit to clay, then correct. Would I be able to wash, then clay the car, then wax it so I could have a few days before I removed the wax and went over the car with m105/205?
2. Since my toy is also my DD it had to venture to my workplace with me which means it sees a ton of dust(I work in the landscape industry). Would a quality wax and QD be able to prolong the shine and keep dirt/dust off the finish?
3. Lastly I want to thank everyone for any help they can give, as I halurked some and can see this board is rich in info and help. So thank you to all that can shed some light for this newbie.
My goal is to be proficient enough yo detail a few friends cars in the area that are very nice(viper, vetted, a few saleens and such).

Rooted/Rommed SIII

zm1283
05-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Hey guys, my name is Pat, and I'm stepping into this wonderful new world of detailing. I have a few questions that would help me with my first trial at detailing my DD.
1. I know I need go clay the car, but my issue is it'll take me a bit to clay, then correct. Would I be able to wash, then clay the car, then wax it so I could have a few days before I removed the wax and went over the car with m105/205?
2. Since my toy is also my DD it had to venture to my workplace with me which means it sees a ton of dust(I work in the landscape industry). Would a quality wax and QD be able to prolong the shine and keep dirt/dust off the finish?
3. Lastly I want to thank everyone for any help they can give, as I halurked some and can see this board is rich in info and help. So thank you to all that can shed some light for this newbie.
My goal is to be proficient enough yo detail a few friends cars in the area that are very nice(viper, vetted, a few saleens and such).

Rooted/Rommed SIII

If you're going to do any correction, just wait until you can wash, clay, compound/polish, then seal/wax. I think you're wasting time waxing then going back and removing it to do correction. That's just me though.

From what I've read, a paint sealant will repel dust better than wax.

dorkiedoode
05-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Sure you can but you'll then have to strip the wax and you pretty much wasting wax. That's consider working backward. It's always best to do everything at once but sometime our schedule doesn't let us. So do what fits you.

cplchris
05-20-2013, 09:54 AM
go on youtube and wach all of junkmans videos, the channel name is junkman2000, i would say set aside a weekend here or there and do the vehicle bit by bit, (do the hood one weekend, fenders the next, etc...) each section you do you should do completely: wash, clay, polish, seal...as far as repelling dust, synthetic sealants and anti static quick detail sprays will help, do not use the qd to wipe away dust, always do a proper wash...like i said go watch all of junkmans videos.

cleanmycorolla
05-20-2013, 10:19 AM
go on youtube and wach all of junkmans videos, the channel name is junkman2000, i would say set aside a weekend here or there and do the vehicle bit by bit, (do the hood one weekend, fenders the next, etc...) each section you do you should do completely: wash, clay, polish, seal...as far as repelling dust, synthetic sealants and anti static quick detail sprays will help, do not use the qd to wipe away dust, always do a proper wash...like i said go watch all of junkmans videos.

There's also this guy named Mike who happens to work here who makes tons of great video in his how to section and on YouTube. :dblthumb2::dblthumb2: junk man is awesome, but MP is no joke and AGs video archive is awesome and informative!