PDA

View Full Version : Mineral oil

Theraven
05-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Has any tried using mineral oil on a really dry gelcoat. I was reading the ingredients of 3m's imperial comp and finishing material , and white mineral oil in listed, so I doubt it could harm the surface. I experimented on a small section of a boat. I first rubbed a little in to the gel coat and then wiped off any extra residue. Then I compounded the area, the compound did not get sucked into the gel coat and spread nicely. To me it seamed to cut the same, and actually left a slight trail behind the buffer, allowing me to work the product longer. If you use to much you will loose your cutting ability. I use finish Kare's Big white rubbing compound, dose a decent job, kind or really thick and messy. Any thoughts or comments on this would be great.

BobbyG
05-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Adding a squirt of mineral oil or baby oil to increase the working time of a compound is somewhat common. Several compounds are designed to work quickly and are often over worked and this is when issues occur. Adding a squirt of either adds lubrication therefore an increased working time is the result.

Theraven
05-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the reply!!