PDA

View Full Version : I'm 17, and I'm ready to go big. Need opinions/help please!

Pages : [1] 2

ssmith96
05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

First of all let me introduce myself, my name is Scott. I'm 17 from Long Island, New York. When I got my first car a few months ago ( 07 328xi, which I did pay most of myself ) I knew I was going to be crazy about keeping it clean, but then once what I now realize was the used car dealerships thick goat of glaze wore off, the car showed all of its paint issues, mainly swirls, tons and tons of swirls it made me want to go past keeping it clean, but restoring it.

I had purchased tons of stuff.

Soaps, SwirlX, ScratchX, Polishing Compound, M105, M205, 6 Pads, Bonnets, Microfibers, Wheel Cleaners, Glass Cleaners, Ass Cleaners (just checking if youre reading) Everything really!

Now, after doing a few more family cars, and actually working for some clients, I've decided its time to put my all into this. I have always been working, from the time I was 15 I started working on cracked iPhones and broken MacBooks and now have a great repair business all off of word of mouth.

Now to the good stuff. I've got my products, created my website, and have been advertising on the BMW forums that I'm a member of, probably illegally posted some small pieces of paper on windshield (Probably wont again, even though I did get business from this).

I really would like to create more buzz though and thats where I need help. So please advise as to how I can do this.

Also, please give opinions on my website if you can:
WELCOME - DEFINITE DETAILING (http://www.definitedetailing.com)

Bill1234
05-19-2013, 04:41 PM
I am exactly like you. We get a used car and we want it to look better than out friends. I dont have a big shop, just my drive way. However, Im looking at charging more for people I dont know and making big steps in tools and necessities.

Bill1234
05-19-2013, 04:42 PM
I like the website alot. I would add a full package which does everything. I would also add an FAQ section and be able to answer questions about customers cars when needed

ssmith96
05-19-2013, 04:53 PM
I like the website alot. I would add a full package which does everything. I would also add an FAQ section and be able to answer questions about customers cars when needed

Good idea on the FAQ section. I'll do that, any sample questions. How do you bring in customers?

sproketser
Nice website .

ssmith96
Nice website .

Thanks bud!

sproketser
05-19-2013, 04:55 PM
No problem , you take this new project seriously mate , good luck with it ! It s a good start by the way .

ssmith96
05-19-2013, 05:02 PM
No problem , you take this new project seriously mate , good luck with it ! It s a good start by the way .

Thanks,

I'm definitely giving it my all, but I'm hoping to get some tips for starting to get more clients or getting the word out in the town,

sproketser
05-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks,

I'm definitely giving it my all, but I'm hoping to get some tips for starting to get more clients or getting the word out in the town,

Read on the forum , get technical tips also .

ihaveacamaro
05-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Way to go man, I started buying all my detailing stuff from money I got modding xboxes. A gray area in terms of legality but hey, it got me a few thousand dollars lol!

Only thing I can say is keep at it. You live in a more affluent area than I do so potential is much higher, but you still will never earn per hour the same you do for something like repairing or jailbreaking iPhones.

But imo at least, detailing is more satisfying work.

BobbyG
05-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Hey, now that's a really nice website, seriously! I wish you the best of luck with your detailing business and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work! :props:

sproketser
05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
You bet BobbyG ! It started well from his part to me .

SR99
05-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Nice job on the website. Not a lot of clutter and easy to see what you do and the range of prices. Photos are always good for such a visually oriented job.

Maybe one minor suggestion on the before/after section:
break it up into sections like exterior paint, wheels, interior, and put all the before and after next to each other (some of them are, but others you have to scan down and find the after).

I don't know if this is an option where you live, but what about a small 1/4 page flyer that you hang on people's doors, or maybe get an advertisement in the weekly US Mail ad packages, or put up a flyer around local apartments around the mail boxes?

ssmith96
05-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Nice job on the website. Not a lot of clutter and easy to see what you do and the range of prices. Photos are always good for such a visually oriented job.

Maybe one minor suggestion on the before/after section:
break it up into sections like exterior paint, wheels, interior, and put all the before and after next to each other (some of them are, but others you have to scan down and find the after).

I don't know if this is an option where you live, but what about a small 1/4 page flyer that you hang on people's doors, or maybe get an advertisement in the weekly US Mail ad packages, or put up a flyer around local apartments around the mail boxes?

Thanks for the tip on the mail advertising, I'm going to look into it.
I really wanted to get the site seperated out picture wise but I need to figure it out in rapid weaver. Stacks doesn't work how I would like and the built in picture page doesn't seem to let me do that. Lol should just say "I hear ya, and I'm working on it"

ssmith96
05-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Hey, now that's a really nice website, seriously! I wish you the best of luck with your detailing business and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work! :props:

Thank you very much Bobby!