PDA

View Full Version : HELP a "Noob" out!!!

lunchboxmunchy
05-18-2013, 05:38 AM
How's it. I am NO stranger to "basic" car detailing, however, I am a "noob" when it comes to professional auto detailing. Where is the best place to start when it comes to supplies? Could you guys help me make a "shopping" list to have the good stuff.
Thanks!!!

BobbyG
05-18-2013, 05:49 AM
I put this list together a while ago. It covers most of the exterior and interior aspects of detailing.

Wash - Duragloss #901
Clay - Meguiar's
Compound - Menzerna FG-400
Polish - Menzerna PF-2500
Finishing Polish - Menzerna SF-4000
Sealant - CarPro Reload
Wax - Collinite 845
Spray Wax - Optimum Car Wax
Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
Wheel Cleaner - Sonax Full Effect
Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
Wheel Protectant - Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
Trim Protectant - CarPro DLux
All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
Glass Treatment - Aquapel
Interior Protectant - Meguiar's M40

Setec Astronomy
05-18-2013, 06:03 AM
On another forum, we used to say process > product. It helps to have good products, but more important is understanding the steps, which steps are required, which order to perform the steps, and practicing good technique.

Pureshine
05-18-2013, 12:14 PM
I put this list together a while ago. It covers most of the exterior and interior aspects of detailing.

Wash - Duragloss #901
Clay - Meguiar's
Compound - Menzerna FG-400
Polish - Menzerna PF-2500
Finishing Polish - Menzerna SF-4000
Sealant - CarPro Reload
Wax - Collinite 845
Spray Wax - Optimum Car Wax
Tire Cleaner - Meguiar's Super Degreaser
Wheel Cleaner - Sonax Full Effect
Tire Treatment - CarPro PERL
Wheel Protectant - Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0
Trim Protectant - CarPro DLux
All Purpose Cleaner - Optimum Power Clean
Glass Cleaner - Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
Glass Treatment - Aquapel
Interior Protectant - Meguiar's M40

MF cutting pads at least 4

hernandez.art13
05-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Also what is your budget? And what are you looking to get out of your purchase? Pictures of what car you have and a car you want it to look like would be helpful.

lunchboxmunchy
05-18-2013, 11:12 PM
I started my own detailing business. The type of car varies. Right now, I'm just using the basics that you can find at Walmart. I do good work, however, I know there is always improvement to be made and the equipment used can help. I still wax by hand. I don't own a polisher yet.

hernandez.art13
05-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Cool good job! At least your out there doing Detailing.

When you do have the right equipment and products. The before and after pictures are dramatically increased. And the job becomes faster and more joyful.

Are you doing paint correction? Or just waxing and interior work?

Meguiar's No. 7 and Collinite 476s can be applied all by hand and the effects are dramatic.

It's just masking but hey it's a start.

lunchboxmunchy
05-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Cool good job! At least your out there doing Detailing.

When you do have the right equipment and products. The before and after pictures are dramatically increased. And the job becomes faster and more joyful.

Are you doing paint correction? Or just waxing and interior work?

Meguiar's No. 7 and Collinite 476s can be applied all by hand and the effects are dramatic.

It's just masking but hey it's a start.

I haven't thought about doing paint correction. Is that a pretty lucrative addition?

hernandez.art13
05-19-2013, 11:28 PM
It is priced higher. But it's not really in demand.

People with DD (daily drivers) just want a clean vehicle. Interior and exterior.

I think a basic detail wash and wax can all be done by hand. (But not 100% sure, since I mainly focus on paint correction)

hernandez.art13
05-19-2013, 11:30 PM
If a customer came to me and wanted me to do paint correction (exterior only) I charge $200 for a full correction.

hernandez.art13
05-19-2013, 11:32 PM
Ask other members here on AG about your pricing options. Since I am still new to the personal business side.

lunchboxmunchy
05-20-2013, 04:17 AM
What kinda packages do you guys have out together? What do they include? What do y'all charge? I'm trying to find out some information in comparison to mine v

andy2485
05-20-2013, 01:31 PM
If you have a costco or Sam's membership, look for microfibers and car wash. You'll also need brushes for interiors. Also check craigslist for anyone selling detail supplies or chemicals. Congrats on the new endevor! Be sure to do you homework on here. This is a great place to learn!