PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Pad Cleaner Liquid vs Powder?

WRXINXS
05-17-2013, 09:24 AM
I have always used either Liquid Pad Cleaners and I clean pads right after use. I use Wolfgang Pad Werks (Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-pad-cleaner.html)) or XMT pad cleaner.

I am having trouble cleaning WGDGPS out of my red sealant pads. I know I just need to dedicate these pads to WGDGPS and I will. But, I was wondering if soaking/cleaning them with a powder solution such as Snappy Clean powder/DP Pad Rejuvenator crystals or Wolfgang Polishing Pad Rejuvenator crystals would do a better job of cleaning them before storage?

I guess I have never understood the difference between the powder and liquid spray cleaners?

swanicyouth
05-17-2013, 09:32 AM
I have always used either Liquid Pad Cleaners and I clean pads right after use. I use Wolfgang Pad Werks (Wolfgang Pad Werks Polishing Pad Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-pad-cleaner.html)) or XMT pad cleaner.

I am having trouble cleaning WGDGPS out of my red sealant pads. I know I just need to dedicate these pads to WGDGPS and I will. But, I was wondering if soaking/cleaning them with a powder solution such as Snappy Clean powder/DP Pad Rejuvenator crystals or Wolfgang Polishing Pad Rejuvenator crystals would do a better job of cleaning them before storage?

I guess I have never understood the difference between the powder and liquid spray cleaners?

The powder cleaner doesn't work better. In fact, it usually doesn't work as well as the WG and BF liquid stuff. I get the powder cleaner and mix it as 1oz /32oz as a liquid cleaner for "weaker" things.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/17/ze8yhanu.jpg

Only thing I know of that will get sealants out of pads is mineral spirits mixed with IPA.

Audi X2
05-17-2013, 09:48 AM
I have always wanted to try the Chemical Guys pad cleaner with the Pad Washer, but I do would need to order direct as AG does not stock it.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BUF_333_16-2.jpg

WRAPT C5Z06
05-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Powder stuff isn't very potent at all!

mavin
05-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I've had good luck with the griots microfiber and foam pad cleaner

Setec Astronomy
05-17-2013, 10:19 AM
I was once told by a technical rep for a cleaning products company that powders were always more economical because you weren't paying to ship and store the water in a liquid cleaning solution. Whether the liquid pad cleaners you gentlemen mentioned have some soluble ingredient that can't be "powderized" and therefore isn't in the powders, I don't know. I'll say that I don't think you'll find much difference between the 3 powders mentioned, buy which ever one you can get cheapest.

Pureshine
05-17-2013, 10:21 AM
I have always used APC to clean pads works great never a problem. I don't need to spend more money on another product but thats just me.

WRXINXS
05-18-2013, 07:29 AM
So soaking pads for a few hours in powder pad cleaner would not really offer me any better cleaning than just using Wolfgang Pad Works on them a few times and rinsing them out?

Setec Astronomy
05-18-2013, 07:41 AM
I haven't used the Wolfgang liquid cleaner--as others have said, sealants are really tough to break down. IMO most pad cleaners are designed to remove compound residues, not LSP residues. Try some APC as suggested? A low-foaming one will be better.

inDetail
05-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Always liquid. I always keep a bucket with a diluted mix of Purple Power in a bucket during detailing sessions 10:1 or 20:1. Nothing against other great degreasers out there but it's bio degradable, cheap and works on anything and I never had a problem with it damaging pads. Just enough to keep residue from settling in the pores. It really helps to break down sealants, AIO, and waxes. After a detail I rinse them out really well. Squeeze as much water out as possible throw them back on the polisher and spin out the excess water. Then comes in the pad cleaner. I use CG pad cleaner. Give them a few sprays let them sit while I clean up the rest of my stuff rinse, squeeze and a spin on the buffer let air dry. Yes I have OCD but this works for me. I have never had a problem with cross contamination of pads. The only thing I do is keep polishing pads, AIO, and sealant pads apart. Polishing pads I mix between different grades of cut. I was shocked at how much manufacturing, packing and storage dirt came out of my new foam pads when I first washed them brand new with CG pad cleaner. A little goes a long way. I follow the same process for MF pads except I use CG microfiber cleaner instead of foam pad cleaner to keep the fiber clean and conditioned. Powder cleaners you need to make sure it is completely dissolved or the powder will dry in the pads.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-18-2013, 08:09 AM
So soaking pads for a few hours in powder pad cleaner would not really offer me any better cleaning than just using Wolfgang Pad Works
Nope. WG Pad Works is a great cleaner. If it can't break down the LSP, a powder sure as heck wont. Try an APC.