PDA

View Full Version : Preping finish for Opti-coat over Dupont sealant

HSMB444
05-16-2013, 11:26 PM
I had a Dupont sealant professionally applied to my finish (brand new car). It protects against acidic and other etching of clearcoat, and is warranteed for 5 years. However, the sealant is disolved by alcohol. All soap or cleansing products seem to have oils, etc. in them, so they require the alcohol wash. Am I out of luck using the Opti-coat (and glass and lens) since I don't want to get alcohol near it?

cleanmycorolla
05-16-2013, 11:39 PM
So that stuff they applied probably is off the car now anyway. So get some paint cleaner, clay, polish and your opti seal and have at it. Those dealership coatings are lies.

jrs1418
05-16-2013, 11:47 PM
^^^+1

HSMB444
05-16-2013, 11:54 PM
The product is applied in a special facility, not by the dealer. It has a 5 year warranty. They claim it gives much more time to get off contaminants before the clear coat is damaged. I actually spoke with a Dupont tech expert, who also does professional detailing, and he swears by it. Do you know for a fact that their product is garbage and wears off quickly? Do you know if it has been independently tested?

john b
05-16-2013, 11:58 PM
^^^+1
+2

cleanmycorolla
05-17-2013, 12:26 AM
The product is applied in a special facility, not by the dealer. It has a 5 year warranty. They claim it gives much more time to get off contaminants before the clear coat is damaged. I actually spoke with a Dupont tech expert, who also does professional detailing, and he swears by it. Do you know for a fact that their product is garbage and wears off quickly? Do you know if it has been independently tested?

So a DuPont Detailers swears by a DuPont product developed by the company he works for and pays him? That's a smart employee :dblthumb2:

In reality, what you got was a sealant, and okay one probably, but it'll wear off soon , it doesn't last five years. Plus with opti coat it needs to be applied to bare paint, so you'll need to polish the finish first to perfection to truly get the most of opti coat.

I say just take what they put on off, it'll come off anyway, bite the bullet yo pad for it, take it off and put your opticoat on after a good polish, good luck!

jrs1418
05-17-2013, 04:02 AM
^^+1

I wash/detail cars with Dupont, Xzilon, Pro-Coat, Diamond-coat, etc, on a daily basis.. Easily 95% need to be clayed and polished.

I was a scumbag that sold Xzilon @ a car dealership.. and I know it does virtually nothing it says it does. All you're paying for is the warranty, that the majority happen to forget they have and never make a claim.

cleanmycorolla
05-17-2013, 05:10 PM
^^+1

I wash/detail cars with Dupont, Xzilon, Pro-Coat, Diamond-coat, etc, on a daily basis.. Easily 95% need to be clayed and polished.

I was a scumbag that sold Xzilon @ a car dealership.. and I know it does virtually nothing it says it does. All you're paying for is the warranty, that the majority happen to forget they have and never make a claim.

Doesn't the warranty even say in the fine print you have to go every six month for an application, if you dont the warranty is void??? just curious, thought i heard that somewhere:xyxthumbs:

jrs1418
05-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Xzilon didnt when I was selling it back in 06-07. never really looked at any of the other warranty's besides Opti-Coat (1 page barely).

Lowejackson
05-19-2013, 07:44 AM
I had a Dupont sealant professionally applied to my finish (brand new car). It protects against acidic and other etching of clearcoat, and is warranteed for 5 years. However, the sealant is disolved by alcohol. All soap or cleansing products seem to have oils, etc. in them, so they require the alcohol wash. Am I out of luck using the Opti-coat (and glass and lens) since I don't want to get alcohol near it?

I am guessing here but would suspect the Opti-Coat is not really going to bond correctly to the Dupont. If the Dupont is going to last 5 years I am not really sure what the Optimum is going to give you. If I was happy with the original sealant (Dupont) I would just top it with a wax or maybe something without solvents such as Optimum Car Wax

Setec Astronomy
05-27-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure why you're interested in Opti-Coating your car, as I don't believe it has any kind of warranty, and what you have has a 5-year warranty so you should be good to go.

If you have Opti-Coat professionally applied you can get it with a warranty, but again, it would seem you already have a warranteed coating.