PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Leather Conditioner....did I do it wrong?

William D.
05-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Hi all,

Ever since I bought my first car, I've been a LEXOL man. It's cheap, it works well, and can be found at any autoparts/supermarket store, so if you run out, you can get a new bottle quickly.

I wanted to try some new products out "just for fun" that were offered here. Connolly's Hide Care (since the car does have Connolly Leather), and Pinnacle Leather Conditioner (sample).

I did the front seats with Pinnacle, and the rear with the Hide Care.

Let it sit in the sun for 4 hours @ 88*, then buffed with a microfiber, and followed it with a damp microfiber for a final wipe down.

The rear seat came out great. Leather is still (seemingly) as soft and supple as before, but has a nice smell as well.

The front seats came out equally as well, but two problems arose.

1. I have some minor streaks in the seat where the color is slightly lighter, and I could not buff them out with a microfiber, dry or damp.

2. The seats are rather slippery. They feel like a steering wheel if you "Armor-All" it. It caught me off guard, as I slid back the second I hit the seat.

If I read correctly, Pinnacle is not supposed to make the seats slippery or glossy. Mine is a bit of both. Did I do something wrong?

1. Cleaned the leather, I used Pinnacle Leather Cleaner.
2. Dried the leather with a new microfiber towel.
3. Applied Pinnacle Leather Cond. liberally with hands, making sure to coat the entire seat, and coat it as evenly as possible.
4. Let car sit in direct sunlight for 4 hours @ 99* with the (tinted) windows up.
5. Buff seats w/ new microfiber until there is no residue remaining, then wipe down with another new microfiber towel.

The Connolly's turned out great, no streaks, leather is not slippery either.

I don't have a huge problem with it, as I'm a bigger guy, and if I can cut down on the friction between my butt and the leather, the longer it will last, in my eyes. I just wanted to make sure I didn't waste half a sample bottle of the stuff because I did it wrong.

Bunky
05-16-2013, 06:02 PM
You do not need to apply it liberally. You just need to massage some it using small amounts so you do not use much product. I would use a foam applicator to apply and then buff with a microfiber or cotton towel. The amount of resultant slickness does depend on the product. The above technique minimizes excess usage.

William D.
05-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Hi Al,

I tried it again, cleaning the seats, then using two shirt button sized drops per section, then rubbed it all over the surface, to the same effect. Is the slickness just normal of Pinnacle? The Connolly Hide Care doesn't have this effect.

Bunky
05-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Hi Al,

I tried it again, cleaning the seats, then using two shirt button sized drops per section, then rubbed it all over the surface, to the same effect. Is the slickness just normal of Pinnacle? The Connolly Hide Care doesn't have this effect.

I have seen varying degrees on slickness but have not used Pinnacle. If you saw no difference, then it could be normal. The lowest added slickness for me is Leather Masters. I have not used Pinnacle.

William D.
05-19-2013, 05:44 PM
I mean, I'm fine with the slickness. Slickness= less surface tension = less wear.

I just wanted to make sure the product wasn't just staying on top of the leather, thus going to waste. If others have experienced this, I'm fine with that.

ChrisJ
05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Never used pinnacles but I can say that I have enjoyed leatherique and surprisingly chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner combo is rather nice as well...