PDA

View Full Version : Weekend project - 2012 Maxima

rms64
05-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Hey folks,

This weekend, I'll be detailing a co-worker's 2012 Maxima. It's a silver metallic type color and I'd really like to make it pop.

Upon inspection today, it's in really great shape - in full sunlight I couldn't find any significant swirls, which was kind of unexpected! My plan at this point is to do a polish to bring up the shine then LSP.

The process will essentially be:

- Sonax on wheels, clean tires and fender wells with ARO
- Foam gun presoak with Honeydew
- rinse
- Foam gun wash with Honeydew and 2BM
- rinse
- IronX
- rinse and dry
- clay (it needs it based on a quick baggie test)

- polish with SF4000 on black pads and probably SF4500 on gold jeweling pads

- Seal with WDGPS and let cure
- Top with LSP

Interested in your thoughts about the above and in particular a good product to top with. I have Pete's 53, Menz Color Lock and Dodo Blue Velvet and Purple Haze - again would really like to make the silver pop for her.

Any and all comments welcomed!! :dblthumb2:

af90
05-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Why the 2-step? I thought the gloss between 4000/4500 was extremely similar according to Menzerna albeit 4500 had less cut.

Would you want to top with something like Blacklight to really make it pop before putting something like Pete's 53?

rms64
05-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Why the 2-step? I thought the gloss between 4000/4500 was extremely similar according to Menzerna albeit 4500 had less cut.

Would you want to top with something like Blacklight to really make it pop before putting something like Pete's 53?

Good question - and basically the answer is I'll have the car Friday eve - Sunday morning so I'll have time to go that extra step if needed. I'll definitely evaluate after the 4000 and do test spots with both the 4000 and 4500 first. May be unnecessary.

I do have blacklight, so that's a good thought!

I'll post up a thread on the project as it evolves - thank you for the feedback! :xyxthumbs:

Evan.J
05-16-2013, 03:46 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/menzerna-chart-2013.jpg

I would just go with the SF4000 then on to your LSP. Blacklight is a definite option in this case for added "pop".

af90
05-16-2013, 03:52 PM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/menzerna-chart-2013.jpg

I would just go with the SF4000 then on to your LSP. Blacklight is a definite option in this case for added "pop".That's the table!

If SF4000 gets you where you want it, you can go over the top a bit on the interior, you didn't put anything in your post so I don't know if this is an exterior only. But if you had quite a bit of time before they came to pick it up you could just do a simple vacuum and clean out the interior with a simple wipe-down.

rms64
05-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Yep, interior will be taken care of too - I'll definitely consider the 4000 only and see how it looks.

Also will be doing the Pinnacle Glasswork water spot remover and sealer on the glass and dressing the tires...probably with Optimum.

Thanks for the great comments...

dorkiedoode
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Yes make it pop. I'm trying to see if I can make mine pop some more after SF4500. Can't wait to see your result.

rmagnus
05-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Blacklight should help the cause because it's a glaze or sort of like a glaze. Who knows really with CG products but it does work. Silver is a hard color to make pop. Megs makes some great glazes you might want to consider.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-16-2013, 04:35 PM
If you are going to use Blacklight as an AIO then use SF4000 on a white pad then Blacklight on a grey or black pad. If you want to go even further then do the actual LSP.

rms64
05-16-2013, 04:40 PM
If you are going to use Blacklight as an AIO then use SF4000 on a white pad then Blacklight on a grey or black pad. If you want to go even further then do the actual LSP.

Thanks Mike - I'll definitely do some testing to see what results I get. I'm looking forward to working on this car - it's a good one!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Put a thread together on it :)

rms64
05-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Put a thread together on it :)

Will do! It'll be a fun project.

By the way, today at lunch we went and checked out her car. I was expecting standard car-wash swirls, until she started talking to me about how much she loves her car..and I quote:

"I don't think there's any swirls"

"I don't ever go through the car wash because it scratches up the paint, and the waterspots drive me crazy...you can't get rid of them"

"I always park way out so nobody dings my car"

"There's a mark on the front bumper where I hit a piece of the tire on the highway, but I'm pretty sure it'll compound out, right?"

At this point I almost lost consciousness. Sadly, she's married. :rolleyes: Maybe she has a sister...

rms64
05-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Just reread one of my earlier posts....I should've said I have the car tomorrow eve thru Monday morning, so plenty of time to do it up right. I'm pretty jazzed!Im the MAN

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Just reread one of my earlier posts....I should've said I have the car tomorrow eve thru Monday morning, so plenty of time to do it up right. I'm pretty jazzed!Im the MAN

I would be too. Sounds like a fun weekend ahead of you.