PDA

View Full Version : The "Shinier than Opti-Bond" tire dressing roundup (and trade request)

k12354
05-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Optimum products have not let me down so far. After 4 applications (2 on my tires and 2 on the wife's), Opti-Bond Tire Gel is no exception. However, the look it produces isn't quite what I'm looking for, even after two coats.

I'm looking for a tire dressing with a bit more sheen: something between the matte look of opti-bond and the "over the top" wet look of silicone-filled OTC tire products. Preferably, this product will produce a medium shine with just one application and won't sling.

After reading some posts here at AGO, I've assembled a list of products I think might meet my criteria:

BLACKFIRE Total Eclipse Tire Gel
Detailer's Pro Series Gloss Tire Gel
Meguiars D170 Hyper Dressing
Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel
Poorboy's World Bold N Bright Tire Dressing
Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

Has anyone by chance tried all of these? If so, which do you prefer and why? Which produces a moderate shine without slinging and without looking "too wet"? I realize that last question is subjective. I'm just trying to get an idea here. In the posts I've read with similar requests for a shinier dressing, the DP and Megs dressings seem to garner the most positive reviews.

Fortunately AG offers samples for all of these products, minus the Megs and Poorboy's. Unfortunately, as a hobbyist only, I don't place orders frequently enough to get free samples of all of them within a reasonable timeframe. For about $21 (one free sample and three samples at 6.99) I could try the Blackfire, DP, Pinnacle, and WG products.

Would anyone be willing to trade any of the above listed products for a mostly full 32 oz. bottle of opti-bond tire gel? I would be willing to break up the bottle into 2 oz. samples if it will yield me more products in trade.

Setec Astronomy
05-16-2013, 09:15 AM
The Bold n' Bright is going to be wetter looking than Opti-Bond.

FFguy808
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
PERL undiluted for me:xyxthumbs:

ihaveacamaro
05-16-2013, 04:17 PM
PERL undiluted for me:xyxthumbs:

This times 1000000000!!!

PERL undiluted is EXACTLY what you are looking for!!

k12354
05-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the PERL tip fellas! I organized a trade for some Megs Hyper Dressing. If that doesn't perform, I'll give PERL a try.

ihaveacamaro
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Hyper dressing doesn't last more than one rain shower lol

Dr_Pain
05-16-2013, 04:45 PM
I have the following and like all of them for different reasons:

Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel
Poorboy's World Bold N Bright Tire Dressing
Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

My preferred "shiny" single coat will be the Pinnacle
The longer lasting (for me) was the Wolfgang
The easiest to apply (although a single coat was matte) is the Bold N Bright

Best results so far was a combo Pinnacle and Wolfgang. I was feeling creative one day and ended up doing 1 coat of each and I was blown away. It did last longer than usual which was a plus also.

chris.ganucheau
05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Griots Tire Shine is what you are looking for!!! Best stuff out there

k12354
05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Hyper dressing doesn't last more than one rain shower lol

Lucky I live in SoCal where it rains about two days out of the year. :p